• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bench Grinder Question

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
BENCHGRINDER.JPG

Today I'm attempting to grind a HSS threading tool from a 3/8" blank on my little 6" Bench Grinder. I've got a lot of grinding to do.
After working for about 45 minutes the motor was almost too hot to touch. Is that normal for these things? The motor appears to be completely enclosed. How long can I run it without damaging it?

Thanks,

Craig

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
If that is the 6" model there is no overload protection on it, so yes you can damage it if you don't take breaks. Craig, I'll let others chime in as I don't make many tools, but that seems a long time even for a 6 inch grinder. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the wheels seem glazed. Are you dressing them? They look a little clogged up.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If that is the 6" model there is no overload protection on it, so yes you can damage it if you don't take breaks. Craig, I'll let others chime in as I don't make many tools, but that seems a long time even for a 6 inch grinder. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the wheels seem glazed. Are you dressing them? They look a little clogged up.

I just dressed it and things are going faster now, but it's going to take an hour or two at the current rate.

…… Ok things are going 10 X faster after dressing the wheel LOL. Maybe a 40 min job now.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another thing you can do, before you get to the bench grinder, mark your tool steel for the approximate shape you want and cut the excess off with an angle grinder cutoff wheel. Saves a lot of time. Then do the fine tuning on the bench grinder with your nice angle block set-up.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Another thing you can do, before you get to the bench grinder, mark your tool steel for the approximate shape you want and cut the excess off with an angle grinder cutoff wheel. Saves a lot of time. Then do the fine tuning on the bench grinder with your nice angle block set-up.

Aaaaa…. this blank is a little small to be attacking with an angle grinder. Maybe my Dremel but those cutoff blades are sooo fragile. What angle block set-up?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I think wheel choice comes into play too. I seem to recall there are recommended wheels for HSS that are higher quality that what would come with that grinder. They used to be white methinks....

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry, your tool grinding attachment that you made which is installed on the angle plate on your grinder in the picture.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Sorry, your tool grinding attachment that you made which is installed on the angle plate on your grinder in the picture.

Ok, that's for sharpening endmills. Works well for 2 and 4 flt endmills. But, Ya, I guess I could set that block up for 60 deg and use it as a guide. Good observation.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Here is an observation. After grinding for say 20 min, the wheel stops throwing sparks. Is that the indication that it needs dressing? Sparks start again after I dress it.

Craig

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yes. Read up on that. Big safety hazard. wheels are apparently quite weak in that direction and can fail throwing debris at you. Another thing to check for is cracked wheels. They have a different sound when you tap on them if they are cracked.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Nope.... not side grinding.

TOOL.JPG

Man this is tedious, but I'm getting there. Let's see... I started this thread at 5:30. 3 hours later and 3 shutdowns to cool the grinder down so far.

How pointy does a threading tool need to be?

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It depends on the thread pitch. Look on this site under “root flat” of the thread you are cutting.

http://theoreticalmachinist.com/Threads_UnifiedImperial.aspx

Generally, carbide insert threading tools have a very narrow point with just a bit of radius so they can cut a wide range of thread pitches.

I would make it very pointy and then just round over the point. The cutting forces decrease that way - at the expense of the point dulling faster... everything is a trade-off.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’d say that you need a better wheel.
It should not take that long to grind a 60 degree bit. Even if it was a 5/8” blank it would take maybe 30 minutes.

I grind my HSS bits on a 2x48 belt grinder and a silicone carbide belt. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trlvn

Ultra Member
The wheels that come with a cheap grinder are...cheap. I suspect it will work OK-ish if you dress it often. What are you using to dress?

If you want to upgrade, Lee Valley Tools has a selection of good quality grinding wheels. For example:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...heel-dressers/62012-norton-3x-grinding-wheels

For shaping tools from a blank, the 48 grit wheel is a good choice. You'll need to use a hand-held diamond hone or similar to tune up the edges. Remember, only a tiny portion of the edge actually does the cutting. That is all that needs honing.

When you need to touch up an edge, an 80 or 120 grit wheel will produce a finer surface--but still should be honed. In fact, a minute of honing every now and then will keep a HSS tool dead sharp for a very long time.

Do you have a fishtail gauge to check your angles? From the picture, it looks like you have ground the top of the tool to produce a negative rake. That is very uncommon. BTW, it is common to grind a threading tool so the cutting tip is closer to the leading edge. Thats to let you get closer to a shoulder without interference.

Craig

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Goodness, I cant feature taking 3 or 4 minutes long to grind a 60 deg. to a HSS cutter let alone 3-4 hours.

I have 3 six inch grinders in the shop with various grades of wheels on them and any of them can form a thread cutter in a very few minutes....on a new sq. HSS cutter I remove the bulk with the coarsest wheel I have ( a cooling tray of water at hand for periodically cooling the tool) and then final form to a thread gauge on the finest wheel I have. Then dress the edge with an old hunting knife stone I keep in my lathe tooling tray.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I wondered if it should be taking this long. I've been grinding and dipping in water until the blank is too hot to hold then leaving it in water for a few minutes, come back grind some more and after about 40 minutes of that the grinder motor feels a little too hot for comfort. So shut down and let sit for 10-15 minutes, then start again.

I'm using a threading gauge to check the 60 deg profile.

Last edited: