• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Beautiful Summer day in calgary

Gearhead88

Super User
I'm getting a bit of seepage too but only on one side and it has to be a super intense downpour , so nothing that requires intervention .

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
this was a pretty heavy downpour, although even with a moderate rain i still get small stream, I thought it was just whatever came down that path, but now i see that it pours in from the neighbors path as well. A few years after i bought the place my first water related repair i had to jack up the entire side of the garage and replace the entire sill plate, bottom 6" of every stud, and lower 2feet of sheeting. Seems that at some point that neighbors lot ended up at least 6 " higher, with a concrete path poured next to the exterior wall, funneling water down and inside of that side of the garage. i wrapped the bottom half of sheeting and sill plate in blueskin plus added a gutter to that side. later replaced the door sill and corner. That all helped tremendously.

Built that awning, that helped with the driving rain, now i have to figure out this problem, i think i may dig a dry well/French drain and carve out a trench in the path to divert the water into the french drain. may add a sump pump to that if i find it cant keep up.

In that picture you can see the sump pump with the hose running into the gutter, but that only works if i am home when it rains hard.

ive got it mostly delt with, squeegee, a couple 18" fans and a big squirrel cage style floor dryer clear it up, but im kinda over this problem

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I'm on the side of a hill with a road above us. Water flows downhill even underground. Now that I have a perimeter drain around the carport/shop area the water that would build up against the East and south side of the building is now diverted into the drain and away. It was needed because the east side of the carport was 6' below ground level while the front was at ground level.

Because it was an open end carport there never was a drain before.

I'd suggest you install a perimeter drain around yours. get the water away before it reaches the garage.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm on the side of a hill with a road above us. Water flows downhill even underground. Now that I have a perimeter drain around the carport/shop area the water that would build up against the East and south side of the building is now diverted into the drain and away. It was needed because the east side of the carport was 6' below ground level while the front was at ground level.

Because it was an open end carport there never was a drain before.

I'd suggest you install a perimeter drain around yours. get the water away before it reaches the garage.

i wish it were that easy, there is a cement walk way on that side of the garage that is not mine, 1" from the exterior wall

seems that most of the water is funneling from there pathway on to my side of the property about 8 feet from the door, i think if i were to block off that whole area it may just make the problem worse, i have some ideas, just a matter of implementing them

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I had the same problem with a neighbour’s sloped backyard that directed rainfall towards our house.
At the time I was running the machine shop at Big O Inc where I could get a roll of drainage pipe and dug it in about a foot deeper then the surface and maintained a good slope towards a municipal drain.
After which, every time it rained the surface water would be redirected from our foundation and into the municipal system.

Water management using slope and gravity.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Consider gluing a plastic sill onto your side of his sidewalk to act as a dam, and then a drain or big O at the ends.

If no place to drain it, pump it to his bedroom.

Personally, I would be mortified if my yard created a problem like that for one of my neighbours. It would get fixed yesterday.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Water diversion in residential developments has always been a problem and Calgary has bylaws against doing what you are experiencing from your neighbors yard.
If the original topography of your yard & the neighbors yard aboriginally drained your way before construction changes then it is your responsibility to mitigate the problem any way you can by accessing an artificial drainage structure....HOWEVER if the problem was caused by the developer changing the topography with grading or fill then it can be put back on their table to fix the problem at their expense. A trip to the city office engineering dept. is required and a request to see the "as builds" engineering plans that will have the original ground grades clearly indicated. I think it is very clear in your case that 2 hours spent in a lineup at the engineering dept. is warranted and worthwhile.

It may happen that somebody at that office may tell you that "that development was done XXXX# of years ago and that developer is long defunct and nothing can be done " but don't eat that, that's horse $hit....because now its the cities problem to pay for & fix...they approved the engineering drawing in the first place so now its their baby.

Tom O

Ultra Member
A neighbour down the street removed the grass and replaced it with marble I thought for sure it would cause the bylaw officers to intervene but its still there and I have no idea if it causes water problems for the neighbours.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
What I believe may have happened due to the gradual upward slope of the houses to my west is they terraced the property to make a level back yard, having the cement walk way on thar side of the yard just made it worse, not allowing the water to drain into the ground

There is no going to the city or developers, these properties were developed in the early 80's. That ship has long since sailed. I suspect this has been a problem since day 1 of the garage being built

The water in the video is extreme, much longer and there would have been flash flooding all over the area.

When I have gotten water since all the the other repairs it was somewhat minimal, so I did not suspect that it was coming from next door, and just from whatever came down the path from my property, but with the volume of water yesterday I was able to clearly see where a good majority of it came from

This evening I'm going to scope out where his downspouts are located, could be that simple

Damming it up will just move the water down his path further, and undoubtedly against and possibly into the garage along the wall that I previously repaired

LenVW

Premium Member
What I believe may have happened due to the gradual upward slope of the houses to my west is they terraced the property to make a level back yard, having the cement walk way on thar side of the yard just made it worse, not allowing the water to drain into the ground

There is no going to the city or developers, these properties were developed in the early 80's. That ship has long since sailed. I suspect this has been a problem since day 1 of the garage being built

The water in the video is extreme, much longer and there would have been flash flooding all over the area.

When I have gotten water since all the the other repairs it was somewhat minimal, so I did not suspect that it was coming from next door, and just from whatever came down the path from my property, but with the volume of water yesterday I was able to clearly see where a good majority of it came from

This evening I'm going to scope out where his downspouts are located, could be that simple

Damming it up will just move the water down his path further, and undoubtedly against and possibly into the garage along the wall that I previously repaired
Maybe you can cut a few grooves in your floor to direct the flow to a sump basin or drain.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Maybe you can cut a few grooves in your floor to direct the flow to a sump basin or drain.

That's what I was thinking, to cut some grooves in the pathway outside in front of the door to channel water into a French drain/drywall/basin

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My buddy had the exact same problem. He lost a substantial dollars with spoiled cabinets & wood products in his shop. He was able to cut a French drain outside his garage because inside was going to be big bucks. He had a slope which led to a deeper elevation collection sump where the pump intake was located. It somehow sensed a water level & turned on/off automatically. I think he diverted water to the alley or something (probably also illegal according to the Truth Ministry). I think that solved it other than he wished he had a grate or something because of silt & debris buildup. He also mentioned the pump froze & cracked so he somehow just pulls it off when its freeze time, same ritual as turning taps off. But as you know Calgary is equally blessed with snow dumps that melt on either side of winter season, which can be the same kind of runoff problem. In a prior new house I had a basement wetness issue via my from neighbor / slope issue. When I dug down to inspect the weeping tile tube maybe 3 years after new, it was completely silted off & essentially impermeable. Not sure if it was supposed to have more gravel pack or some other installation issue. I've heard of this outcome quite frequently though. Water can an be a bugger. Good luck.

LenVW

Premium Member
Pumps can be ‘float’ activated and positionedwith insulated cases and heat trace lines that generate minimal heat to avoid any frost damage.
(Actual installations should be properly sized to the site)