• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Beautiful Morning Here

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good to hear your crops are doing well. Crops in my area are being decimated, drought and grasshoppers.

Actually, the majority of farmers around here are not doing very well either. Heavy drought early, late frost, heavy rain lately. Thank God no locusts!

I think the majority of my own luck can be attributed to tilling. I am no-fan of no-till.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Beautiful view. I bet morning coffee is very peaceful with a view like that.

Here grasshoppers and drought are making the crop outlook poorer each day but many areas have it worse than us this year. No till or min till is the reason farmland still exists and is productive around here.

I actually slept in somewhat this morning, which is very unusual for me. Could be a sign I'm getting sick or something! Anyway I eventually joined my wife in the garden. I'm not allowed coffee these days on account of blood pressure problems but my wife certainly enjoyed hers!!!

DSC_0132 (2).JPG

historicalarms

Ultra Member
i just drove across most of AB and 1/2 of Sask west to east. Drastic difference in crops & pasture between the two, Ab pastures are like a brown table top and crops have acres of unsprouted barren land but get 10 mi into Sask and everything is lush and growing excellent all the way across. the farm we are at has had 11 inches of rain so far this year, some parts of Ab can measure their rain this year in a fraction of an inch.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I think this looks glorious, but SWMBO wonders why you Photoshopped out the water and mountains?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think this looks glorious, but SWMBO wonders why you Photoshopped out the water and mountains?

Ya, nearest mountains here is a landfill....... Next best is the high bluffs along the shore of Lake Erie.

If you look closely at the distant trees, you can see LOTS OF WATER! That's Lake Erie. Not the biggest of the great lakes but still huge by western lake standards. Ocean water doesn't count.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I actually slept in somewhat this morning, which is very unusual for me. Could be a sign I'm getting sick or something! Anyway I eventually joined my wife in the garden. I'm not allowed coffee these days on account of blood pressure problems but my wife certainly enjoyed hers!!!

View attachment 36343
I love this kind of house surrounded by vegetation, which once again tempted me -------------

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If only grass hoppers would chew on kochia and other bothersome weeds. I think i've had a total of 2.5 inches of rain since spring. some green but the heat beats the hell out of a lot of crops and grass.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If only grass hoppers would chew on kochia and other bothersome weeds. I think i've had a total of 2.5 inches of rain since spring. some green but the heat beats the hell out of a lot of crops and grass.
Grasshoppers DO chew on kochia and other weeds but unfortunately many crop plants are also a delicacy for them. There is a grasshopper called the "Russian Thistle" grasshopper and it PREFERS to eat the weed known as Russian thistle.
Yes not having enough rain is a killer itself but then when you get scorching heat it's a double whammy. We are in a very similar situation in southern Alberta as you.