• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Bandaw coolant system.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
A coolant system I built for the bandsaw. Pump is a cheap centifugal 12 volt unit. Filter is a rectulation filter with rare earth magnets in the pipes before the filter. Coolant container is a 5 litre plastic fuel can. Tubing and tap is also reticulation. Tube is split at the end and saddles the cutting blade. I made a rubber gaket to fit under the small table. This has to be changed regualarly to stop coolant spewing out the rear of the machine.

Very nice.

My current band 7x12 saw came with a coolant system. I must say that I tried it at the beginning and found it made more mess than it was worth cutting aluminium. On the few cuts of steel including 4041 I have no issues running dry with my blades.

My first saw 4x6 didn't have it period.

My saw also runs both as a horizontal and vertical saw.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of flood cooling on the mill but on the saw not so much. While I cam suspect that if I ran the saw as much as I run the mill I would see the benefits it offers.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
I never cut without it: cuts faster and blades last a hell of a lot longer. I don't have coolant on my mill, just too messy, I may uses a spray bottle every now again though.

Downwindtracker2

A problem with bandsaws, metal and wood , are the teeth filling up. The dragging across material adds heat and the gullet filling stops the cutting action. On the bandsaw we had at work ,I've found it even helps in getting a square cut.

If the gullet is filling up the teeth are to fine of pitch. Softer metals are worse than hard.

I cut a lot of aluminium 1" x 12" wide and the biggest issue is having just enough cut pressure to cut yet slow enough not to fill the gullet. The limitation on lower tooth count is blade width. I've tried all sorts of coolants, cutting fluids, wax sticks and other. Dry works best and perfect feed rate.

I get square cuts no problem.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
I use coolant when cutting aluminium and I cut a lot of alumium, never had a problem with teeth gunking up. I setup the bandaw to cut steel square, but it still cuts square on aluminium. However, I do have a problem with teeth gunking up on end mills on the mill. Not so bad on two flute, but four flutes gunk up all the time. I may have to add a coolant system and figure out some sort of guard, so I can still operate the vice.