• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Bad drills

Tool

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In all fairness, I didn't have high expectations. A 13 piece set of metric drills from Ali for 4.16 CAD including delivery. It was part of a sale where you had to pick 3 items. This was going to be my 'who cares' set like fixing the gate, drilling drywall & other abuses.

1725163268570.webp

Side A, looks like a typical back relief angle. Something funky as it approaches the cutting edge to right though...
1725163370104.webp

Side B. Hmm... relief (green line) not quite the same. Some other dills were actually going negative dipping to the right
1725163460313.webp

Yowza!
1725163596609.webp1725163616695.webp1725163663574.webp

For no extra cost they even coat the fluting swarf!
1725163830885.webp
Fortunately I just so happen to be putzing away at a split point accessory for my TCG. A perfect test project. (This is just by eye, work in progress).
1725163755450.webp

Well I'd like to provide a happy picture of a 2 perfect swarf entrails coming off a shop re-sharpened tip drilling a block of metal. Unfortunately, once spinning in the chuck, the tip was a blur. Hmmm... measured +0.060" runout, so warped like a banana for good measure. BTW it wasn't a one drill issue. Every second one had these issues or worse. I'm thinking at best maybe they gather the defects & package them up as a set, but who really knows. This is why I avoid the handyman stores & try & stick with tooling suppliers. There are plenty of good ones where the quality is top drawer & well priced. In all fairness I have seen the same thing from Crappy Tire & Princess Auto who should be a little more diligent to avoid passing crap onto customers.

i bought some cheap stubbys from ali that were so dull they wouldn't drill cheese ! another one of those "well its so cheap, who cares"

that being said i have had some good bits from them

Back