Back woods aluminum casting

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
It has been a long time since I have made a post. But I wanted to share this amazing failure. image.jpg While I spend most of my time in the woods over summer I get fancy ideas, this was no exception. I dropped my dirtbike on a root which punctured my clutch cover, ok epoxy fixed it for riding short stints but it was leaking constantly because it would get chipped off. And a notorious foot brake puncture was also a constant pain. The cover is magnesium originally so patching is not an option. So on to the summer. I have a spot I don’t move much but I do intense clean ups of the campsites so the conservation et.el officers don’t ask me to move on. So I made my own green sand. Using a small area of clay found nearby and some sand a bit finer than play sand from a sand bag i Found abandoned at one of these sites, along with all the aluminum I found in the ash layers of a great many fire pits plus some scrap I’ve accumulated from other years clean ups. And wood made from self harvested lumber using an Alaskan chainsaw mill for the flasks. I had everything I needed so I went for it. I tried many times after this but my mold failed. I Didn’t put extra weight on the top once I had my sprue and vents all placed on this first attempt. But I hand mulled the sand with a stone and mixed it in a tarp. Filled in the voids and holes with straight clay as well as the Honda name. I was so close but the side lifted and it was lost, I’ll keep this piece for a long long time I’m sure. Enjoy the photos, when the youtube video gets through the queue I’ll add a link so you can see what I did. Would love to get a sub to my New channel as my friend and I will be doing metal work projects along with other real life adventures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 11

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Looks pretty close.

Either the metal wasn't hot enough, or you sprue and gates were too small to feed the cavity before it cooled.

Worth another try.
I agree. I've has the same issues with thinner castings. Large runner feeding both sides and much higher temperatures.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
It does take practice.
SHORT1.JPG

Higher temperature. Having enough metal in the crucible. Good venting.
PERFECT.JPG

Both the lid and base were made from Hammond Boxes. The Lid has a couple of voids.

INSIDE.JPG

Keep trying. Eventually it will all come together.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Looks pretty close.

Either the metal wasn't hot enough, or you sprue and gates were too small to feed the cavity before it cooled.

Worth another try.
I agree. I've has the same issues with thinner castings. Large runner feeding both sides and much higher temperatures.

It does take practice.
View attachment 41218

Higher temperature. Having enough metal in the crucible. Good venting.
View attachment 41217

Both the lid and base were made from Hammond Boxes. The Lid has a couple of voids.

View attachment 41219

Keep trying. Eventually it will all come together.
Both good thoughts but here is the video, and you can see the moment the real reason I failed.

trevj

Ultra Member
Looks pretty close.

Worth another try.
Ayup! A friend made thirteen crankcase halves (same side) of a half scale Harley engine, before he got one that he was happy with! Those were lost wax castings, not sand!

Every attempt is an addition to the skill building process!

Also, scrounge some cast alloy parts (pistons, cylinder heads, and whatever else you can find) so that the alloy you end up with at least starts as more or less a casting alloy, rather than say, one meant for extrusions or the like. Adding copper wire is a help too.

As far as wood fired casting goes, split the wood small, make the fire hot AND fast, and you reduce the time it takes (less oxides forming!) With the 'stump melt', shown, position the big logs to direct air in through the outer extremities, and make a rocket burner in the middle to get the metal up to heat as fast as possible, then pour!

Last edited: