• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

B&S #13 grinder followed me home

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Here's the oil reservoir . It was a real mess in there. There was a 1/2 inch of yellow oily stuff on top and some partly solid crusty stuff below. Got it all mopped out and was going to remove the oil pump for cleaning. Took a long hard look at it and decided there must be a better way. Just by feeling around I could tell the pump pick-up was clogged with the crusty stuff. Of course it is nearly impossible to get your hands in there. There is about 1/2 inch of room between the pick-up and the bottom of the res. so I used a tooth brush to get at the screen. Got it all cleaned out and wanted to test the pump. It runs off a cam on the table drive to a long push rod that goes down to the piston pump on the bottom end. Not knowing what was still in the pump, I disconnected the oil line and worked the push rod by hand. As a test and cleaning fluid I just used engine oil. It puked out some ugly liquid and cleared right up. Awesome. Hooked up the oil line and pumped some more and lo-and-behold, oil showed up at the nozzles that lube the ways.Here's a pic of the pump with a mirror so you can see the screen .

Attachments

• IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_E1064.JPG
    IMG_E1064.JPG
    384.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 10

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
So after all my" research" I decided to use a RPC to run this thing. Got on Ebay and ordered an American Rotary 5hp and had it shipped to Noonan ND. Did the tracking thing and they said it was delivered, so I head to Noonan and there is one box. And it's not heavy, like it should be. So now I have the control panel but no idler. Maybe heavy boxes travel slower? I am about ready to get this thing fired up. Speaking of fired up, here's the compartment that contains the smoke......for now,anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 14

Bandit

Super User
I remember cleaning out sumps on the crank grinders, always a stinking mess from the oils and grit in with the water based grinding lube/coolant. Used a refractometer? to check it, tried to change at least 3 times a year so sump wouldn't get too rank, and keep levels up. Not sure how bad for a person the biosides in the stuff were.
MSDS started a few years later when I was working at another shop, we had to make some changes there, for the better.
Sometimes I think the swamp coolers in the summer were the worst problem.

Bandit

Super User
Yes, that machine is cleaning up nicely. Trying to remove fasteners of any type on older machinery is always a bear, but the gun smithing type driver bits sure help, along with unworn sockets and wrenchs. It is hard to deceide that socket/s, wrench/s need/have to be replaced to do a good job properly. Some are dam near like having to say good bye to an old friend.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Finally got the grinder hooked up and running. So I started playing with grinding a 2 flute endmill that had the and cut off. They say 2 flutes are the hardest to sharpen and there is little info on grinding a cut-off. Anyhow, after about 15 min. run time the grinder shut down. I snooped around and a overload relay on a contactor was hot so I let it cool for a while and fired it up again. A few min. later it shut down again, so I called our local electrician. He found that when the grinder was re-wired to 220 from 440, they never changed the heaters in the relays to a higher amperage, so now they were heating too much. Probably why the grinder was taken out of service? Maybe. My electrician knew a guy who had lots of parts for these old contactors ,so he got me the right ones. I put them in yesterday and all is well so far. I would still like to get the right wheel dresser so will keep on the lookout for that. Lots to learn, but lots of fun as well.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Well, I did a little grinding over the last week or so. Some of the stones I got are missing their blotters, so I cut some out of Felpro Karopac gasket material. It was handy. I'm finding that the stones are coming loose on the adaptors. :oops: I think the gasket material is losing compression over time due to being too thick. I am switching to cereal box cardboard instead. That seems to be what a lot of ppl are using. If anyone has any experience with different blotter material I'd love to hear about it.