B&D Mag Drill

Martin w

How do you remove the chuck off a mag drill? Is it a Jacobs taper? I tried putting two thin shims on either side and tapping but no go it has a 13/16” Jacob’s chuck.
Thanks
Martin

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Usually a fine-pitch female threaded chuck, RH thread, held on with a left-hand thread lock screw. Open up the chuck all the way and look for a Phillips or Torx screw.

Martin w

Hi guys, no go. There is no screw inside the chuck. It sure looks like a Morse #2 into the drill. There are two slots for wedges, but it is stuck! I will try to remember to get a picture tonight after work. I'm assuming a Morse taper in the drill and a Jacob's taper in the chuck? I wanted to get a Morse taper to Weldon shank. I just want to make sure before I buy one.
Thanks
Martin

Jswain

Joe
Hi guys, no go. There is no screw inside the chuck. It sure looks like a Morse #2 into the drill. There are two slots for wedges, but it is stuck! I will try to remember to get a picture tonight after work. I'm assuming a Morse taper in the drill and a Jacob's taper in the chuck? I wanted to get a Morse taper to Weldon shank. I just want to make sure before I buy one.
Thanks
Martin
If you post the model number/pic could maybe find a manual for it to confirm.

Probably been in there since the factory

fixerup

Super User
I have once removed a drill chuck, which was held very well by the jacobs taper only. The inside of the drill chuck had a small dimple were the holding screw is usually found. It was prefect to center the a drill bit and then tap for a 10-32 screw . When I drilled for the 10-32 tap size, I paid close attention to feel the void between the chuck and the Jacob taper. Finding the void is important, or else you will be tapping both parts together, or worse drill deep into your jacob taper. The void is there but it is not much. Then tapped the drill chuck with the 10-32 tap. Screwed in a 10-32 SHCS and applied some decent pressure and then hit the chuck on the side with a brass hammer. after a few its on all sides and tightening the screw a little it finally pop off.
You could use the combination of the 10-32 SHCS and your wedges instead of the hammer.

Martin w

Fixerup, that’s a good option. Thank you
This is my drill chuck, probably been on there a day or two.
Martin
20240305_183053.jpeg 20240305_183014.jpeg 20240305_183122.jpeg 20240305_183022.jpeg

Martin w

Geez , according to that it does look like it! Man, I've looked in that chuck 50 times I will look again. I'll dig in there with an awl. Thanks Joe

Martin w

My bad. Chuck was full of dirt. Was a T-30 torx screw about an inch and a quarter long. Chuck popped right off the Jacob’s taper.
Feel kinda dumb. I’ve had this for ten years. Lol
Thanks everyone for their input. I appreciate it!
Martin