• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

awning/gantry crane

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Finally making some progress on my garage awning (and now gantry crane), at least more than just collecting material

Story goes, my garage is set back 7-8' from the property line/laneway, someone poured a nice pad/s back there that i use as an outdoor work space from time to time. The downside to it is that its not shaded from the snow/rain/sun, etc, so when it snows i track snow inside, when the rain is driving it drives into the garage under the door/any crack, and if the sun is cooking its not the most ideal place to work.

my original plan was to use the truss i built for this ?2? summers ago...but things have evolved, i tore down a gantry crane of mine that's been erected at a buddies for way to long, and decided to use the columns for the columns of the awning, and to incorporate the lift beam into bottom chord of the truss (with a temporary leg when in gantry crane mode)

first things first was to remove the boats (the main hold up....bring them to buddies house with the gantry....and to tear the gantry down (no pics)

todays after work adventure was to cut down and re-cap the columns, lay out/drill/epoxy anchors, and stand the columns....im going to try to get as much as i can done on this before the wife and i head to alaska for a week on sunday....we will see, hopefully i can get that truss modified (add tension rods as well) and installed on the columns by then

picture time!

damn boats i never have time to use! hopefully buddy will rent a spot at the reservoir to put one so he and i can get out from time to time

Boats.jpg
columns cut at a 5deg angle to match the slope, and capped
IMG_20240430_174735948.jpg

1/2 redi rod epoxied, 75mm embedment, i opted for epoxy given the rather close edge distance, wedge anchors as well as concrete lag bolts tend to put a lot of outward pressure and with close edge distance there would be a good chance of blowing the side of the slab out, the piece of hss in the center is taking place of the elevation shim pack, it is cut with that 5deg slope as well, both columns will get grouted at the end
IMG_20240430_174744452.jpg

I intend to cut the bottom chord of this truss out and weld in the lifting beam, as well as add a leg to be installed temporarily while hoisting, tension rods will also be added to stiffen things up, that tubing as well as a whole pile more was traded for a case of beer
IMG_20240430_184054575.jpg

what remains of the gantry crane given to me several years FREE, repurposed
IMG_20240430_175915865_HDR.jpg

swept off the april 30th snow for a picture, 8 10ft long sheets of corrugated metal paneling FREE
IMG_20240430_180117211.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Re-post of the progress from wensday lost in the 'minor forum crash of '24"

Despite the terrible spring weather i did manage to get the truss/hoist beam concoction modified with diagonal braces (although i ran short of round bar, the ends will have to be done in situ). The original plan was to stop there and have someone come give me a hand shoulder the truss up on a couple ladders, but with the addition of that beam the truss became quite soggy, i was able to get a genie, but they can be quite sketch, especially with the slop, so i opted just to make a couple welded hockey sticks and chain fall the guy up. Seeing as this had turned into being do-able with 1 man and there was still time left in the night i decided to get at it.

This is where it going to sit until i get back from Alaska, tacked up and ready to be welded out, and then on to the cladding.

IMG_20240501_171130288 Edit.jpg IMG_20240501_183654159_HDR edit.jpg IMG_20240501_190200312 edit.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
plugged away at it over the week, after a few hours this morning its about 94.643% done

Going to see if my buddy can swing by this week and run the gutter for me, have to flash the top where the corrugated metal meets the siding, thinking about possibly welding some tabs on to the upper chord for additional screw down points (i dont want to run any screws through the hss, water ingress), and grouting the columns is still on the list

IMG_20240516_193140599_edit.jpg IMG_20240517_192746528_edit.jpg

Casulty! banged my head on one of those little plates welded to the ends of the outriggers
IMG_20240517_193022428_edit.jpg

IMG_20240518_134742533_EDit.jpg
Ha, take that rain! (although admittedly not much) Now i can watch the rain NOT come in the garage door!
IMG_20240518_134728484_edit.jpg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Looks great. You've given me some ideas as I want to do something similar behind my garage too. I'd never though about a crane before, but now I might look at trying to incorporate a Jib crane into one of the supports, so I can pick something outside, and swing it under the roof onto the workbench. Smaller stuff like a lawn mower engines etc. Like everything, I'll just keep adding features until it's so over complicated it never gets done.....

I don't have the height to work with without tying into the garage rafters, and I'd rather not do that.