• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine Restoration

Earl Wong

Heres a short clip and a few pics of the Atlas MFC Horizontal Milling Machine circa 1950, I just finished restoring. I purchased it from a fella in Toronto who had it on Kijiji. It appeared to be lightly used as there was no wear on any of the gears, everything was very stiff if not seized because of old dry grease and dirt. It came with the original stand. I had to machine a drawbar and some end mill holders for it. I'm almost finished machining the 2 step motor pulley as it came with some generic 1 step pulley. I obtained the mechanical drawing for the pulley from Clausing, the original one was still available to order but would have cost me about $200 Cdn.
My Mistake, I guess you cant post vids, so just a few pics :)

Attachments

• i phone 212.JPG
    i phone 212.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • i phone 257.JPG
    i phone 257.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • i phone 216.JPG
    i phone 216.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
  • i phone 217.JPG
    i phone 217.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • i phone 223.JPG
    i phone 223.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • i phone 244.JPG
    i phone 244.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • i phone 240.JPG
    i phone 240.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

Tom O

Ultra Member
very nice! Is that a metal bench or painted wood I have only heard of the wood ones like on the shaper shown here. DSC_0248.JPG

Earl Wong

Sorry Tom, its a keeper. I don't have a vertical mill yet, so need it for some projects, I find it really fun to use and like to keep it in my jewelry collection.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Ha no problem just one of those questions that has to be asked! I'll find one eventualy in the meantime I'll continue to get the inside of the garage ready for new machines although I may have to buy a shed for some storage of the crap I have acumulated over the years! lol

Payner

Premium Member
Great job , I have done one of those as well now just waiting to replace one of the universals for the table power feed that was broken .