• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Atlas Craftsman lathes

Tom Fitzpatrick

I am looking at a Craftsman metal working lathe and am wondering what anyone can tell me about them, i.e.
1. Were all Craftsman lathes made by Atlas?
2. Are these a good home work shop lathe to get started on?
3. I believe the one Im looking at is a 12".
4. Are parts available on line and if so are there specific websites to search for them?
5. How would you compare them to a South Bend 9", 10'or 13", or just South Bend in general?
6. Are the flat bed ways less durable that a South Bend's V ways?
7. What type of electrical power did they come with (110, 220 - 3/4 hp, 1 hp)?
8. Do you know of a good source for finding literature on these lathes?
9. If it's in good running condition, what do you think is a fair price to pay for one of these 12" lathes?
10. Do accessories from other lathes, such as South Bend fit an Atlas?

Thanks so much and if I think of more questions I'll post them shortly.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm no expert so take my info with a grain of salt, but I will try not to tell you any bs.
I had a small 618 Atlas lathe which was also available with the Craftsman name on it. Exact same lathe but Craftsman badge. There were however similar sized lathes also with the Craftsman badge on it that were not made by Atlas and we're inferior to the Atlas Craftsman.
if it looks like an Atlas lathe then I think you are safe too assume that it is an Atlas under the Craftsman name. (Don't know why my text has changed colour)

Atlas are good lathes and a very nice starter lathe if in good shape. I would rather have a good condition South Bend.

A few years ago I could still buy many new parts for my Atlas 618 from Clausing/Atlas in the states. All parts were very pricey. Ebay also had lots of parts available but also expensive in my opinion.

I think I have an old Atlas brochure I can look to see what power options were available on that line anyhow.

I doubt any accessories (taper, milling attachment, collet draw bars etc)other than basic tooling would be interchangeable between a SB and an Atlas.

I'm going to guess at market value (or what I would value the machine at) a good shape lathe only I would expect to pay $1500 . Tooling could double that value and I'm often surprised at what old lathes sell for.

Tom Fitzpatrick

I'm no expert so take my info with a grain of salt, but I will try not to tell you any bs.
I had a small 618 Atlas lathe which was also available with the Craftsman name on it. Exact same lathe but Craftsman badge. There were however similar sized lathes also with the Craftsman badge on it that were not made by Atlas and we're inferior to the Atlas Craftsman.
if it looks like an Atlas lathe then I think you are safe too assume that it is an Atlas under the Craftsman name. (Don't know why my text has changed colour)

Atlas are good lathes and a very nice starter lathe if in good shape. I would rather have a good condition South Bend.

A few years ago I could still buy many new parts for my Atlas 618 from Clausing/Atlas in the states. All parts were very pricey. Ebay also had lots of parts available but also expensive in my opinion.

I think I have an old Atlas brochure I can look to see what power options were available on that line anyhow.

I doubt any accessories (taper, milling attachment, collet draw bars etc)other than basic tooling would be interchangeable between a SB and an Atlas.

I'm going to guess at market value (or what I would value the machine at) a good shape lathe only I would expect to pay $1500 . Tooling could double that value and I'm often surprised at what old lathes sell for.
Great tips, thanks. I’m wondering where one would to compare serial numbers with catalogue numbers to authenticate year of manufacture? In response to your comment about parts for Clausing/Atlas being pricey, if the model purchased is in good shape you shouldn’t need many parts. In your estimation would I be better to search for a South Bend 9” or 10” rather than a Craftsman/Atlas? Thanks again for your knowledge.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great tips, thanks. I’m wondering where one would to compare serial numbers with catalogue numbers to authenticate year of manufacture? In response to your comment about parts for Clausing/Atlas being pricey, if the model purchased is in good shape you shouldn’t need many parts. In your estimation would I be better to search for a South Bend 9” or 10” rather than a Craftsman/Atlas? Thanks again for your knowledge.
Just a couple more comments...yes I think most SB lathes are a better lathe than a COMPARABLE Atlas but I would rather have a really nice 12" Atlas than a beat up 9" South Bend.
I suspect a SB lathe will command quite a bit higher price.
I'm not sure of all the SB lathes but the Atlas 12" lathe had a quick change gear box, I wouldn't want either lathe without that feature.
Before I changed from my Atlas 618 to my Asian 10" lathe I did try to find a larger used Atlas/SB but could not find much in reasonable shape and nothing I figured I could afford. I'm sure there is one or two out there, but I couldn't find them.

Tom Fitzpatrick

Just a couple more comments...yes I think most SB lathes are a better lathe than a COMPARABLE Atlas but I would rather have a really nice 12" Atlas than a beat up 9" South Bend.
I suspect a SB lathe will command quite a bit higher price.
I'm not sure of all the SB lathes but the Atlas 12" lathe had a quick change gear box, I wouldn't want either lathe without that feature.
Before I changed from my Atlas 618 to my Asian 10" lathe I did try to find a larger used Atlas/SB but could not find much in reasonable shape and nothing I figured I could afford. I'm sure there is one or two out there, but I couldn't find them.
Thanks again - good to know.

Since joining this group, I have been provided with a wealth of information that has been EXTREMELY HELPFUL - Thanks again for all the support.

GlenB

You can look them up at vintage machinery.org I have tried my serial number with no luck but they do have part breakdown which I found handy

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Old Atlas/Craftsman, South Bend or Clausing lathes are very nice. My first lathe was a very nice 9 inch South Bend. I sold it to finance a 14 X 40 from Modern Tool. I needed the bigger lathe but kick myself for not keeping the SB as a second.

Tom O

Ultra Member
No it was my fathers I inherited it when he passed on along with the Atlas shaper the Atlas lathe thats in the garage was my grandfathers. The gear cover is off in this pic because the cast iron arm that holds the gears snapped for some reason ( no crash involved ).
Here’s the shaper.
F413B6DF-E517-4B51-A7BF-1E8979157875.jpeg

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Very nice. I'd love to score a small shaper one day. Looks like a nice Baldor Grinder sticking its nose out beside the the shaper. A friend got me a killer deal on one of those at auction, so I'm slowly switching from Carbide inserts to brazed carbides I can sharpen myself. Some very nice machines you have there.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't even know what a shaper is used for really, but still can tell that looks like a nice machine!
What can a shaper do that a milling machine doesn't? Can shapers still be bought new? I've never seen anything but real old looking machines but then I have never really looked either!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I don't even know what a shaper is used for really, but still can tell that looks like a nice machine!
What can a shaper do that a milling machine doesn't? Can shapers still be bought new? I've never seen anything but real old looking machines but then I have never really looked either!

Seriously? How old are you? Grade 9 shop project was a meat tenderizer. A shaper was used to cut the tenderizer teeth into the hammer head.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
My JHschool had bit larger one, that was still there in ‘02, we only used it for steel dice. And most schools had long ago disposed of most metal shop practices

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
To answer your original question. As otherwise stated shapers have largly been replaced by the milling machine. They can however cut key ways and internal splines something that can't be done on a bridgeport style mill. Do I need one in my shop? Not at all. Would I like one in my shop? Hell ya! Just because there old an neat and I've never used one.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
they can make anything but money.

I still haven't 'shaped' anything yet, but when I do, I'll be in a lawn chair having a beer watching it happen, smell of hot steel and oil in the air........

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sounds cool. I knew they looked purty neat and I didn't think about internal keyway and splines. Now I know. Thanks