Atlas 618 back gear

pjf.weeks

Recently bought an Atlas 618 lathe missing the back gear assembly.

I've been trying eBay, FB, Kijiji. Seems to be unobtainium. But I'm still looking! Any chance somebody has a spare?

trlvn

Ultra Member
You might check with Joel at My Machine Shop:

He may have one even if it is not listed on his web site. It won't be cheap, though. Plus he is located in Michigan so shipping can add up too. Oh, and the exchange rate is brutal right now.

Does your 618 work OK otherwise? I ended up parting out the one I had as the spindle was slightly banana-shaped and the bed had significant wear. I still have a handful of leftover parts...but not the back gear assembly. I think I could have sold it for 3X what I asked based on the number of inquiries I had.

Craig

pjf.weeks

Thanks, I'll check out Joel. He has a spindle assembly that includes one, but I don't need the whole thing.

I don't have it up and running yet, but it seems to be in pretty good shape. The lead screw looks a little wonky, but I think I can get it straight again.

The lathe came with the armature attachment, and I don't think it saw much intensive use other than cutting mica.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks, I'll check out Joel. He has a spindle assembly that includes one, but I don't need the whole thing.

I don't have it up and running yet, but it seems to be in pretty good shape. The lead screw looks a little wonky, but I think I can get it straight again.

The lathe came with the armature attachment, and I don't think it saw much intensive use other than cutting mica.
If thats all it's been used for it's likely in good condition.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There isn't actually a whole lot of other uses for the attachment other than cutting mica. Cutting down mica on a motor armature is done less now than ever but it's a nice tool to have if you do that sort of thing. I have one from my 618 lathe that I adapted to fit my 10x22 lathe.

pjf.weeks

There isn't actually a whole lot of other uses for the attachment other than cutting mica. Cutting down mica on a motor armature is done less now than ever but it's a nice tool to have if you do that sort of thing. I have one from my 618 lathe that I adapted to fit my 10x22 lathe.
I was thinking of trying to use it as a toolpost grinder, but it doesn't quite fit the bill. It'll probably end up on ebay.