Atlas 12x36" lathe Kijiji Calgary - $2000

Atlas 12x36 lathe just outside Calgary: $2000

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1531873404

1603661972993.png

No mention of any tooling but it looks like a steady rest and a QC toolpost is included. I'm curious about this apparently 'newer' style Atlas. I wish the poster would have included the model plate.

This would seem to be a 3000 series 12x36 with the thread cutting gearbox *without* underdrive stand, which would make it a #3981 according to the following link:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page4.html

Just a note about my numerous posts in the 'Member Spotted Deals' section: I'm going to be acquiring a toolroom sized lathe and maybe a mill in the next 12-24 months and adding a machining capability beside my existing woodshop. I'm posting 'found' deals on items Im interested in purchasing in the future to gauge a) pricing and b) perceived quality of posted items so I can start to properly gauge a 'deal' when I'm ready to buy. I hope nobody finds my frequency of posts annoying (if so, please let me know).

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Keep your posts coming. The more eyes out there the better.

This one looks like a nice clean well maintained machine.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
He says firm on the price so $2000 it is. Atlas are low end machines - I would take a BB machine from China over Atlas (especially given BB machine will be much younger). On the other hand if in great condition this may be an OK price. I would not call it a "deal". Deal would be like $1200.

One has to figure out how much this would cost now. I recon it is around $3000. With tooling such as QCT and tax this may be like 3300. Paying around 60c on a dollar - better be in excellent shape. Note this is probably 50 year old machine.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
He says firm on the price so $2000 it is. Atlas are low end machines - I would take a BB machine from China over Atlas (especially given BB machine will be much younger). On the other hand if in great condition this may be an OK price. I would not call it a "deal". Deal would be like $1200.

One has to figure out how much this would cost now. I recon it is around $3000. With tooling such as QCT and tax this may be like 3300. Paying around 60c on a dollar - better be in excellent shape. Note this is probably 50 year old machine.

Yeah 2K sounded somewhat high at my first guess for 'deal' status.

And the machine is probably late 60's to mid 70's vintange from what I could gather on models from vintagemachinery.

Perry

Ultra Member
I would not call it a "deal". Deal would be like $1200.

I thought my $49.00 Atlas 12x36 was a deal. :)

I don't think that is the 36" version. It looks to be a lot longer then mine.

5443_dc60bfd2a9be126cd599cf87cf5ab16f.jpg

Perry

Ultra Member
I woke up this morning thinking. My lathe is not 12X36. It is 12X24. That is why it is shorter.

Sorry, I'm getting old.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah thanks to that $49 deal I have been watching all estate sales in Calgary for longer then a year but so far no great deals and prices have gone way, way up. Now its a lot of comical relief. I think that deal boat has sailed away.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Yeah thanks to that $49 deal I have been watching all estate sales in Calgary for longer then a year but so far no great deals and prices have gone way, way up. Now its a lot of comical relief. I think that deal boat has sailed away.

Agree with your comments Tom. Simply boils down to economics (supply and demand). More and more people are getting into home shop size lathes and mills along with others upgrading to larger machines often NOT parting with their smaller gear. That basically translates into a larger demand for home shop size equipment generally for the beginners. Given the demand it clearly equates to higher prices for older used machines and YES, folks minus all associated goodies that once came with machines. The second huge issue is new equipment often manufactured offshore is definitely very pricy for most everybody. YES folks acquiring a new machines is a huge problem turning most of us off.

Rule of thumb, first come first served, someone also said (he who hesitates is lost). NO deep pockets here!

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I honestly don't understand why prices of new lathes have gone roughly 50% up at say BB over just 5 years. A lot of it is greed and hope people don't shop around.

You can easily beat prices of say BB on the 7" lathes and a bit on the 8" lathes but it is difficult due to shipping to Canada to beat them on larger models for worthwhile money. You can get a 9x30 lathe for around 2100 CAD with shipping - which I guess is OK deal but the machine is light weight.

US war on China has caused Canada to stand alone. In EU where they are seeing China as a counterweight to US you have plenty of machine distributors. In Russia getting a lathe from China costs about 1/3 less then in Canada as shipping is only local.

Also US duties of 20% may reflect BB tendency to mimic Grizzly prices - i.e. once US competition is gone Canadian companies are out to gague people out.

Not that I even seen interior of BB in two plus years - I don't even know whatever they are still around. I only visit KMS for old tool sales or welding gas.

Perry

Ultra Member
I noticed some of the Ruissian pricing for Chinas products (excluding shipping ) is also very good. I wonder if it has anything to do with the massive gas pipelines Russia has going into China?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Nah, its good in Poland and rest of EU as well - many have distributors in say Czechia. You can drive over if you do not like the price of shipping. There are some deals here in Canada as well but not as good - i.e. I just got a bandsaw blade that came to distribution center in Mississauga and was then shipped Canada post - i.e. they ship regular container loads to Canada and then ship with cheapest local carrier.

Fermic

Also US duties of 20% may reflect BB tendency to mimic Grizzly prices - i.e. once US competition is gone Canadian companies are out to gague people out.

I can confirm these prices rose sharply up by checking the wayback machine on these busy bee sites, Grizzly is also guilty of that with price hikes up to $300 USD in 2 years.
Importing a metal lathe straight from china won't be easy unless someone lives near a sea port and is willing to self-clear that which makes the cost more predictable for everyone. Then there's transport need to move this lathe to the home but I am sure that's possible to rent a trailer for your car.

As for deals in Canada in Kijiji, they always end up too far from your home and they get always snagged up. So, we might be left with old metal lathes from usa or watch auctions in Canada hoping you are willing to code some app to do this job for you.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
As for deals in Canada in Kijiji, they always end up too far from your home and they get always snagged up. So, we might be left with old metal lathes from usa or watch auctions in Canada hoping you are willing to code some app to do this job for you.

I find that getting a 'deal' is almost contingent on the seller not knowing what they have, or the seller being really motivated -- and in both of these case, timing is everything (be first to call -- and be able to pick it up quick). Consider a local 'gem' on Kijiji -- I instantly know that I'm competing with 100-150 fine men/women that frequent this forum. Haggling on such items may work, but you better be fast to pickup as sometimes the calls start coming in after you called with offers to pay full/over price. Nothing worse than the call-back to say "sorry, its gone" as you're en-route. No honor among thieves!

Obscure and poorly advertised estate sales/auctions seem to be the best. Sometimes you'll be freezing your _ss off in a farmer's yard in November, you're looking around, no usual suspects.... and a piece of history is rolled out before your eyes. I love those moments. When I travel to Saskatchewan to visit family, I cannot pass signs advertising 'yard-sale' on a farm. I have to stop in. I purposely take my truck so that I have cargo room for barn-finds.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
So someone finally found a good reason to go to Saskatchewan, eh?
:D

When you last flew over Saskatchewn I waved to you. Was born in Hamilton, raised and educated in Stoney Creek way back when. We are very good people out here. LOL

What happen with your new to you semi???

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
When you last flew over Saskatchewn I waved to you. Was born in Hamilton, raised and educated in Stoney Creek way back when. We are very good people out here. LOL

What happen with your new to you semi???
Hey now I know people out west are good people, I’ve been invited into a few peoples homes out there and been treated like a long lost friend. It’s just fun to pick on Saskatchewan, even people who live in Saskatchewan poke fun at Saskatchewan. :p

We got the new to me semi home safely, thanks for asking