• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Atlas 1020 Drill Press Restoration

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I used to manage a Corporate Flight Department and brought “experts” in all the time to speak and provide training. There is no problem with CBSA if you make it clear that he is an expert and essentially in his case, the top of his field. Hell, we even brought Steven Hawking in once, no problem. So lads let’s stop kicking the idea around and get this going. I’m in. Where is everyone located? I can look into a venue. I’m in Ancaster, (Hamilton Ontario) and could look into using a high school machine shop or maybe Mohawk College’s machine shop. The Dean there is awesome. I had been talking to him about tutoring me and he was onside, perhaps he might be able to help us out. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe we should create a separate'expression of interest' type post, but at our last meetup at Modern Tool (Calgary) some of us were chatting informally. Dabbler had some knowledge of a scraping expert. Another member (very sorry forgot your name, but I remember you are a race car enthusiast) had a connection to SAIT (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology). So maybe some raw ingredients of an instructor & a venue to hold a workshop? Maybe in the off-season months when school was out & machine shop facilities were not otherwise not being used? Lots of 'ifs' here - how much, how long, how many attendees (because its bound to be out of town for someone). Anyway, other than 'interest' in the black art of scraping & machine reconditioning, that's about all I can contribute.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My scraping guy wants to retire. My friend is still gently talking to him about coming, but it doesn't look good.

Kelly McLaughlin

Very Nice work Earl! you're a man after my own heart. refurbished old machines are waaaayyyy better than new ones! and there's always stories to go with them : )

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I used to manage a Corporate Flight Department and brought “experts” in all the time to speak and provide training. There is no problem with CBSA if you make it clear that he is an expert and essentially in his case, the top of his field. Hell, we even brought Steven Hawking in once, no problem. So lads let’s stop kicking the idea around and get this going. I’m in. Where is everyone located? I can look into a venue. I’m in Ancaster, (Hamilton Ontario) and could look into using a high school machine shop or maybe Mohawk College’s machine shop. The Dean there is awesome. I had been talking to him about tutoring me and he was onside, perhaps he might be able to help us out. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of us are in Alberta, and Calgary. ... unfortunately ...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
So I earlier said he wanted to retire... I got it crossed wired - he's coming out of retirement. Please see the post on the scraping guy from minnesota... I'll keeep thing up to the minute there!

Earl Wong

For those of you who have been asking... If your 15 inch Atlas drill press is slipping between the pulley and quill, it is probably caused from a cracked plastic splined driver sleeve between the pulley shaft and quill. It basically acts as the "fuse" to protect anything from damage. Clausing was able to provide me a copy of the original mechanical drawing for the sleeve and I was able to reproduce it in Fusion 360. I recently purchased a 3D printer and plan on printing this part. if anyone needs one send me a message

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 4
  • driver sleeve.JPG
    driver sleeve.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 702-012 Sleeve Splined Driver.pdf
    102.9 KB · Views: 5

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's a beautiful looking restoration Earl. It looks like the original part may have been injected molded?
I've heard 3D printing nylon is a bit fussier but people must be figuring it out.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
That's a beautiful looking restoration Earl. It looks like the original part may have been injected molded?
I've heard 3D printing nylon is a bit fussier but people must be figuring it out.
I agree. But I was expecting at least one racing stripe on the paint job...

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I know, I know ... a drill press isn't the sexiest thing in a shop, but I just love mine. I saved it from being tossed in the garbage, it had missing parts, looked ugly and sounded like it had rocks in it. After a complete
teardown, replacing all the bearings and making some new parts, its the most impressive machine in my garage. It is deathly quiet, and has only .0015 runout with the quill extended. My wife couldn't even tell it was running when I used it for the first time, she thought I was messing with her.
The table looked as if they were using it as an anvil, and obviously didn't know what the hole in the center of the table was used for. I filled the holes with a metal compound then had the table surface machined.
I had to fabricate some missing lock handles, and fabricated a replica of the available for the time, accessory stand. I finished it by putting on a Rohm keyless chuck. This is my baby. Best of all... it was free!

View attachment 1576 View attachment 1578 View attachment 1579 View attachment 1580 View attachment 1581
Nice work.

Art M

Just disc this thread. Awesome restoration Eric. I too had to epoxy the arc of shame on my old buffalo 18 when I resurrected it