Argon Flow Meter/Regulator Combo Recommendations ?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I tracked the slow leak on my Syncrowave 200 back to my regulator. At least it's not the solennoid. I've got a traditional high/low pressure type. I know these can be repaired, but always kind of wanted a flowmeter on the low end as most gas calculators show flow rate now instead of PSI.

Does anyone have any experience with the newer aftermarket high pressure/flow meter type gauges available, such as these:

https://www.amazon.ca/8milelake-Arg...&sr=1-1&swrs=490C38E9F0CA4CAE27B47CC467F56394

They seem pretty reasonable cost wise.

Tom O

Ultra Member
My first one was like that too I updated to a duo flow just on the off chance I might want to do stainless.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
UPDATE: Bought this one from Amazon after looking at my neighbour's. He got one of the cheaper ones and was swearing a blue streak about how much it leaks. His is patched with yellow (gas) teflon, but still leaks. We put some soap and water on the joints but lots of bubbles. Gas tape doesn't really do that much I've found on regulators as the thread really only puts pressure on the bullnose. If the bullnose is poor quality (cheap brass) then you can tape until the cows come home, but you'll still leak. In theory the tape is a backup for the bullnose if that leaks—but whenever I see a cheap brass bullnose, I know the threads are will be cheap brass (too soft) as well. So now you're relying on tape to save your skin, or your $200 argon fill.

When I looked at the brass on my neighbour's bullnose is was marked to all heck. The inside of the tank brass was fine...but his regulator's/flow meter's bullnose was bad.

So far so good with this new flowmeter. It cost a little more ~$80. But is called "medium duty" and seems to be at least double the weight as my neighbour's. Tested mine and so far no leaks, so I am happy.

Back to TIG practice....

2020-04-03_17-16-49.jpg