Are there any sewing machine mechanics here? Advice needed on a Singer 99K.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I found a Singer 99K at a local second hand store that was in like new condition. The serial number dates it 1958. My sister was looking for an older Singer and promptly bought it. She took it to the local sewing store and had it cleaned and serviced. It sews but it has an issue with the top thread catching on the tension adjustment knob. I suspect its not timed properly and the top thread get too much slack allowing it to catch.
I have scoured the internet and have been unable to find the manual for it. I would be surprised if there is not someone on this forum that knows how to time an old Singer sewing machine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg 4.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Francist is a bit of a Singer expert but it looks like he's no longer a member here. :(
I did ping him on HM though so maybe he'll come back.

Last edited:

Jswain

Joe
Is the thread installed correctly? Some machines like it coming off cw vs CCW etc.

Sometimes they are funny when you just poke through the sticker and it has edges vs a clean hole too. Pulls the thread tight then the spool releases more then normal thread

Tom O

Ultra Member
I think I’d try the tension if all else fails mind you I’m not a sewer I did some Naugahyde once that went well after I figured out the needle was in backwards.

terry_g

Ultra Member
The machine is at my sister's a couple hours drive from me. A member here sent me the user manual for the 99K. I sent the manual to my sister and if she can't resolve the problem I will get her to bring the machine the next time she is here.
The take up lever is allowing too much slack in the thread on the down stroke causing the thread to get caught on the tension adjustment knob.

trevj

Ultra Member
Is the thread installed correctly? Some machines like it coming off cw vs CCW etc.

Sometimes they are funny when you just poke through the sticker and it has edges vs a clean hole too. Pulls the thread tight then the spool releases more then normal thread
This!

The routing of the thread makes all the difference..

Am no expert, but did spend a month on a course teaching essentially, heavy duty sewing methods, while in the Military, and have been pretty deep inside some old Singers, as well as more modern Jukis. Singers have a LOT more places to get out of time!

The description of the fault though, does sound like it is not properly threaded.

terry_g

Ultra Member
I suspect you are correct. My sister is an amazing seamstress and owns several machines.
The old singer might be threaded different than her more modern machines.
Thanks to a member here she now has the manual for it.

Terry