Tips/Techniques Arbor Press Mod and TOT

Tips/Techniques

MrWhoopee

This Old Tony released a video today on arbor presses, including a modification to allow re-clocking the handle on presses without a ratchet. The mod he details involves milling some teeth off the bottom of the rack.

I like this mod better, it allows re-clocking the handle while the ram is in contact with the item being pressed.

20220311_121209.jpg 20220311_121230.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice! II just acquired a 3ton with the ratchet system. It's kinda crappy quality, but it works for my needs. I would love to clean it up and tighten the tolerances.

Lots of great ideas here.

mbond

Premium Member
presumably the ratchet is so that you can apply torque at any point in the press's range of motion? Because a standard handle can probably apply more and there seems little call for ratcheting otherwise?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
presumably the ratchet is so that you can apply torque at any point in the press's range of motion? Because a standard handle can probably apply more and there seems little call for ratcheting otherwise?

That's pretty much my take.

It's ridiculous to apply torque on the backside. Also a nice long handle couldn't be used on a bench.

Mine has a wheel that is used to set the ram on the work with the handle above center at the front, and then the handle can be used to apply the ram force.

There is a little ratchet handle that can be swung out if the way to lower or raise the ram with the wheel.

I can take photos tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Somewhere on here I have my press stand and ratchet mods - will see what I can add to this.

One thing to note is to carve out a decent hollow under the press base for other gears, shafts to fit. Typically you have to press on shaft bearings where a shoulder (gear, larger diameter etc) are hung up under the press limits when you get the shaft centred.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One thing to note is to carve out a decent hollow under the press base for other gears, shafts to fit.

I used a hole saw to cut a 2.5 inch hole under the press. I just figured some kind of hole would be needed for various jobs like broaching and pressing bearings off of shafts. Time will tell if it's enough.

Love to see your mods Brent.

......... sheeesh, it's like he forgets where he is sometimes. :rolleyes:

Yup. That pretty much sums that problem up....... And then I open my eye again.....

mbond

Premium Member
this is my setup. I'm not sure how ordinary it is, but for most of the stroke a lot of leverage can be applied

for those who are wondering, yes this is on top of a table saw. I have about 100 square feet for my total shop space

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Love to see your mods Brent.

mbond

Premium Member
the bar is about 2' long. I haven't calculated the torque / moment, but its enough

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanks Craig. How do you do that? You are amazing!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just looked at @Brent H 's arbour press thanks to @YYCHM .

Wow! I'm not doing that! Don't have the steel.

Although I'm envious as hell, I don't believe a stand like that is really required. The 3ton press force is reacted within the press itself. The stand only sees the weight of the press and the force applied to the handle. So my 3 ton is just gunna sit on the 2x4 plywood workbench adjacent to my 20 ton press.

If I ever get some big I-beams like that, plans can change.