Arboga G2508 gear drill press - cannot remove cover

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So this is like the first time for me where... I cannot remove the cover of a gear box. The front opens about the inch, or front and back for about 1/4 of an inch and that is it. Trying to lift it, pry off evenly etc. Playing with the gears inside etc. Nothing seems to work. I am afraid using craw bar to take the cover off may damage something.

All gears that I can see are helical and look like new. the reason for taking the cover off is rattling sound which seems to be due to the lower grease seal breaking off from one of the spindle bearings - not exactly a huge "issue" but a bit unpleasant.

I now have two Arboga drill presses - my other one is a bit taller, with smaller round drilling surface, speed range of 8 speeds but tops out at 1500 rpm vs. over 3000 for the G2508. Not sure yet which one I want to keep - but I first need to resolve the metal seal rattle.

Here are some images.

IMG_20231203_202229[1].jpg

IMG_20231203_202242[1].jpg

IMG_20231203_202313[1].jpg

Any ideas? Mid image shows extent I can open. Or if I do it evenly its about 1/4" per side.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Is this any help?

No I watched it few times now - he takes off the cover with ease - I also seem to have better gears as his are straight cut - probably for EU due to lower speed at 60Hz.

I am just puzzled as to what is holding the cover - the only thing I can think off is that the under cuts for bearings are done improperly and they are the problem. So should I just pull hard? I have already pulled with well over 50lbs of force.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Does yours have the original motor? It's getting hung up at the back, so maybe the motor housing is hanging it up somehow. Any obvious signs of previous owner modifications? Those are always fun....

No idea, grasping at straws here without being able to put hands on it. These are always fun puzzles in person though.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
What does the little 6mm? screw do at the bottom of the housing?

I have removed it. I am unsure of its exact purpose - maybe helps with alignment? The cover when placed is so well fitting you hardly notice that there is a cover at all.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Does yours have the original motor? It's getting hung up at the back, so maybe the motor housing is hanging it up somehow. Any obvious signs of previous owner modifications? Those are always fun....

No idea, grasping at straws here without being able to put hands on it.

It appears that I am the first person to ever open the gear box as from factory the gearbox bolts were painted over - and were very tight - undoing them removes some of the paint. I do not see how the motor - which is on these Swedish machines part of the lower casting (thus you need to like re-wind it to repair it - not really plug and play motor replacement possible - in addition to it being two speed) could be non original.

Machine gearbox as far as I can peak into it looks like new. Motor has no issues. Other than some broken off handles the machine is in like new condition.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It appears that I am the first person to ever open the gear box as from factory the gearbox bolts were painted over - and were very tight - undoing them removes some of the paint. I do not see how the motor - which is on these Swedish machines part of the lower casting (thus you need to like re-wind it to repair it - not really plug and play motor replacement possible - in addition to it being two speed) could be non original.

Machine gearbox as far as I can peak into it looks like new. Motor has no issues. Other than some broken off handles the machine is in like new condition.
So this is not the the motor then? I'm not familiar with these machines, and didn't watch the entire video, just skimmed a bit. What is this piece, and is that a source of the hangup? Looks to be stemming from there. Perhaps not letting it open enough to allow the undercut part to clear. One has to clear before the other situation.
motor.png

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Ah, that's the shaft. Found a few side view pictures that show clearance between them, so it's not there. Disregard my suggestions.....

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Did any of the shafts drop when you pryed it back slightly? Perhaps one dropped down, and is keeping the housing from being able to release the bore somehow?

Just another thought while typing the above, maybe the back shaft is stuck in the outer housing and is wanting to come with it instead of staying put. try tapping around there with a mallet, and see if you can get it to stay with the main casting instead. IMO I think that would jive with how and where it's getting stuck

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Ah, that's the shaft. Found a few side view pictures that show clearance between them, so it's not there. Disregard my suggestions.....

It is the shaft on which the head moves up and down. In these machines the head can move a little up and down, not just the table.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It is the shaft on which the head moves up and down. In these machines the head can move a little up and down, not just the table.
Yeah, I figured that out once I looked up the machine and found a bunch more pictures...lol. Motor tucked up under. I've seen lots of these for sale over the years, but am not too familiar with them.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I have the same Swedish machine as a NIDER NI64 and here are the pictures to take it apart. I just cut an aluminum gear as I blew up the fibre gear. There are roll pins in the case at the base plate. They are hard to remove, and I threw mine away. I had to drill out and use an easy out to get one of them.

Attachments

• 02122012580.jpg
    02122012580.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 15112012557.jpg
    15112012557.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 11
  • d-112.jpg
    d-112.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4623.jpg
    IMG_4623.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Nider Drill press gear.jpg
    Nider Drill press gear.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 14

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, mine does not have any pins. I checked. Also no plastic gears, all metal and all heli cut. My actual base plate is totally different - it just has the bolt and very little metal around it - here in img_4623 you have plenty of "flange".

My current plan is to just re-lube it and put it back together. At that point I have to figure out which one I want to keep - I have now two of them.