• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Anyone with a precision punch and brass shim?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is there anyone here that can punch out a couple of .010" thick brass washers. The O.D. isn't critical but would need to be about .750" and the ID needs to be precise but I'm not sure of the dimension (aprrox. 7-8 mm).
I not sure they will work for my issue but I thought I would try. They are for barrel washers on a cheap $35 air rifle.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I have some .003" and some .008" brass shim stock. I could make a selection of shims for you if you give me exact dimensions.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome. Thank you.
I'm now rethinking my approach. Normally a barrel pivot washer has a machined recess that allows for a washer of considerable thickness (.065") but being a $35 gun they skipped a few machining and finishing steps. I am entertaining the idea of machining out that recess myself or trying some other approach.
Of course it's all kind of silly putting this effort into this thing but that was kind of the point.....it was cheap and offers all sorts of possibilities to make it better! I figure if I spend $100 on this gun it might be worth $75 by the time I'm done. Hahaha.

What would you charger for stomping out a few washers John?

John Conroy

Premium Member
I would probably make them the Joe Pie way like Craig suggested as it is unlikely I have the right size punch cutters. I'm not sure if you are set up to do that your self but if not I would gladly make them for you, no charge.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now its all coming back somewhat...man when I get "old" I ain't going to remember nuttin" .

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would probably make them the Joe Pie way like Craig suggested as it is unlikely I have the right size punch cutters. I'm not sure if you are set up to do that your self but if not I would gladly make them for you, no charge.
Thanks I think I will give it a try. I appreciate your offer.

Chip Maker

Super User
https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/1-958-315

I have a homemade shim punch set. Most die makers have their own. I don't have the I.D. punch and die, but they're relatively easy to make. Especially if it's a nominal size such as 8mm. You could use an 8mm dowel (leave about a1/4"land and relieve the rest) as the punch and an 8mm reamer to make the die. You didn't say if concentricity is important, but if so then you would need an 8mm pilot on the .750" punch.