• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Anyone own a CNC plasma cutter?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’m on the verge of building one and wondered if anyone has one.

Tom O

Ultra Member
That’s # 6 on the to do list 4x4’ In size. I’m thinking the gantry would fold down as well as the table so it could be stored attached to the end of the bench to cut down on the diminishing floor space. I have the steppers, drivers, breakout board and ballscrews that I’m thinking about using. Any thoughts about ballscrews verses gear drive?

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I believe [mention]Janger [/mention] and a couple of other members have a table hiding somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yes the forum has a table in storage. We need a place to set it up. and a plasma torch. it's kinda big and takes up a lot of space. @Chris Cramer has a cnc plasma table.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That’s # 6 on the to do list 4x4’ In size. I’m thinking the gantry would fold down as well as the table so it could be stored attached to the end of the bench to cut down on the diminishing floor space. I have the steppers, drivers, breakout board and ballscrews that I’m thinking about using. Any thoughts about ballscrews verses gear drive?

I’m going to use rack and pinion.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
Are you only looking for one at least 4' x 4'? My plasma table is 4' x 3', equipped with a hypertherm powermax 45xp.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
I built a 4x4 table based on the video's from MakingStuff off of youtube. If you to patron support him for access to the files, be aware they are not great. Holes in the wrong locations, wrong sizes etc. I'm using linuxcnc with a 7i96 hooked up to a Gecko G540 and a CNC4PC C10 board. G540 is motor control and limit, C10 is other IO including a mesanet THCAD-300 which is hooked into my Hypertherm 900 I bought at auction for $400 without torch. Machine torch was another $400 from PlasmaDynUSA on eBay. With the THCAD I have torch height control. Linuxcnc ha a nice plasma screen setup called QTPlasmaC. the options there are plentiful.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I built a 4x4 table based on the video's from MakingStuff off of youtube. If you to patron support him for access to the files, be aware they are not great. Holes in the wrong locations, wrong sizes etc. I'm using linuxcnc with a 7i96 hooked up to a Gecko G540 and a CNC4PC C10 board. G540 is motor control and limit, C10 is other IO including a mesanet THCAD-300 which is hooked into my Hypertherm 900 I bought at auction for $400 without torch. Machine torch was another $400 from PlasmaDynUSA on eBay. With the THCAD I have torch height control. Linuxcnc ha a nice plasma screen setup called QTPlasmaC. the options there are plentiful.

Do you have any pictures of your table?
Edit: scratch that, I saw your other thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom O

Ultra Member
The main problem with the design is the extension of the cutting arm at full extention sagging unlike the gantry style that can maintain any height along a given track.
But for the small garage or hobby it would be nice to hang it on the wall when not in use after all 2’x2’ isn’t a bad size.