• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Anyone in the GTA have a sand blaster?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On my 10ee I used a wire wheel on an angle grinder to knock the loose stuff off, then 36 grit on the DA sander over everything. Didn't take long to get to the base paint layer. I ground out the spots where the filler had chipped away, then filled and sanded, filled and sanded...etc. Still lots more to do. Definitely not a weekend project.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Never a fun part of the gig is it? I don't bother anymore (except the fancy little swiss ones), with chips and coolant they look like crap again in two years in any event. The rest of mine are machine tool equivalents of what the hot rod crowd would call a rat rod. Looks like Sh1t but every thing's mechanically perfect.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I
Never a fun part of the gig is it? I don't bother anymore (except the fancy little swiss ones), with chips and coolant they look like crap again in two years any event. The rest of mine are machine tool equivalents of what the hot rod crowd would call a rat rod. Looks like Sh1t but every thing's mechanically perfect.
Well my goal is to treat this very well.

When I helped out in the shop my brother apprenticed at, they kept their machines pristine when not being used. That is a lot easier if I refinish with a quality finish system

I have requested information/quotes from two firms both in the west end. One is a powder coater so I'm sure that they will respond and be interested. I may even get the stand, guard and backsplash power coated if I like their colour choices.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Unless really bad, and layered with multiple coats and colours of cheap paint done poorly, I think the worn look of old working machines looks great. Non of us get through life without scars and blemishes. Machine tools are no exception. As long as they still function properly, and perform as needed I say leave em as is.

My view is swayed by my hatred of painting, and all the prepwork invovled in doing a proper job. Some people have that patience and knack for it. I am not that person. I'm more concerned with fit and function.