• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Anyone here got a 3d Printer?

Jimbojones

I know....I know....asking a 'Plastic' question in a 'Metal' working site = bad karma but since the lines will eventually blur between CNC and 3D printing, I figured the question is valid and there are lots of fabricators here that just might have one...

I'm wanting to make a BXA QCTP holder rack; seen a number of designs and although most are made from metal, I'm just not a fan of putting the most critically machined side of the holder against another piece of metal to suspend it.

Seen people make 3D printed ones either in singles that can hang over the edge of your splash guard...or with multiple holders (e.g. 4) and full backing piece so you can mount the entire thing on to a wall, etc.

Has anyone here either have a 3D printer and/or designed a non-marring/non-corroding BXA QCTP holder rack?

I want to get a 3d printer too. Just saw a kit for $499. It's called delta x.

Here's my tool holder holder.

Yeah I have two 3d printers. What are you proposing doing. Are you looking to buy a 3d printing machine? or are you just trying to get the quick change tool post parts printed?

Had contemplated something like this:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:224932

Having a broad, rolled edge on my backsplash, I'd have to adapt the notch in the back to be 1-1/4 wide...but you get the idea.

As for buying a 3d printer; I'm not there yet. Would have some occasional use but price I could pay vs quality of output I'd want, I just couldnt afford one at this time.

ironically, I ran to ebay after I posted last comment and saw that someone was selling 0XA holders (pretty much identical) that looked just like that so it looks like a martketable idea. Saw some aluminum ones too but I think they were nearly $100 shipped for 4 holders...way too pricey for my tastes.

fwiw - I spent $50 and bought some unistrut back/back track w/asst other metal and made a linear holder across the back of my lathe. It can hold the holders and has provision to mount tooling above/behind them (which is why I went for the double configuration). Should work out fine.

Back