• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Anyone have a 3D resin printer?

Perry

Ultra Member
From what I understand you can print a much smaller item on a resin machine.

I'm looking to make (or have someone make) a small plastic gear. Approx 3.5 mm diameter. I tried on my PLA machine with a 0.4mm nozzle. No joy. I though maybe I could make a negative of the gear and then fill it with an epoxy to kind of mold a gear but still no joy.

Just a design note, the orignal gear had a square hole in the center. You can guess where the gear failed. Right in the two corners. I can make this square hole after the gear is printed if that is an issue.

Cheers, Perry

Attachments

• pinion.jpg
    pinion.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_4804.JPG
    DSC_4804.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 22

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Oh thats very tiny, even for a resin printer. You should know that the cured resin is quite soft and it fractures easily at stress concentration points such as the corners of a square hole and the roots of gear teeth. There may be more durable resins available than the 'ABS Like' and 'Epoxy-like' formulas, but in my experience both of those are too soft to handle any stress at that scale.

Perry

Ultra Member
Thanks for the input Arbutus. I was hoping for an easy fix. :) I'll have to grind up a cutter and try and make one out of plexiglass....maybe brass.