• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Any idea what this would have been used for?

Tool

Perry

Ultra Member
Got a few Mitutoyo measuring tools on an estate sale. Pick them up Saturday. :)

One of the items included in the lot is this.....Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 15-02-41 Measuring Tools Grouping - F113 – sellmystuffcanadacalgary.pngScreenshot 2024-07-15 at 15-02-27 Measuring Tools Grouping - F113 – sellmystuffcanadacalgary.png

Any ideas on what it was used for? 1/4"? 3/8"? and 1/2"? drives I'm guessing. Now I'm hoping the rest of the stuff is not the Chinese version. ;)

1st one MTA Micro Tool Adjuster (using AI text enhance). Still not sure exactly what it was used for but since it is a "Conductive Container" I would assume the tool being adjusted may be electrically charged.

2nd one has me fully stumped, although I'd guess it is also some sort of micro adjustment tool

Can you provide a hi-res scan of the paperwork that is in the box?
I won't be able to pick up the items until Saturday. I will scan that white piece if it has any information. Looking at the storage box, I'm wondering if someone made that up. The pink packing foam cut to shape, might be a DIY storage solution.

I won't be able to pick up the items until Saturday. I will scan that white piece if it has any information. Looking at the storage box, I'm wondering if someone made that up. The pink packing foam cut to shape, might be a DIY storage solution.
Hadn’t looked closely at that, but you’re right, it does look “aftermarket.” That means that the label could also be from a previous life.

Well, the Mic head is a standard universal head that can be got from any of the manufacturers, it mounts in the round hole.

These get used a lot on precision measuring microscope tables and the like, for measuring very small items, as well as precision stops for machine tools and the like.

I have seen similarly labeled boxes, used as delivery containers for electronic components, particularly if they are Static Sensitive.

The Pink foam is also pretty common in ESD safe packaging, so I would suspect that the place of origin, was electrical or electronics related, even though I kinda doubt the box and foam are original to this tool kit.

Just a guess though.

Well, the Mic head is a standard universal head that can be got from any of the manufacturers, it mounts in the round hole.

These get used a lot on precision measuring microscope tables and the like, for measuring very small items, as well as precision stops for machine tools and the like.

I have seen similarly labeled boxes, used as delivery containers for electronic components, particularly if they are Static Sensitive.

The Pink foam is also pretty common in ESD safe packaging, so I would suspect that the place of origin, was electrical or electronics related, even though I kinda doubt the box and foam are original to this tool kit.

Just a guess though.
I was thinking it was ESD foam too. I can probably find a use for the mic head. Just curious if anyone had seen something like this.

I was looking closer at the square cutouts. They look to be done pretty nice. You can kind of see a round circumference line around them. I wonder if this a a custom tool they made up themselves. Milled the square cutout in two separate halves. Reattached the halves. Turned the outside down to fit a hole in their bracket.

Likely it was made themselves for a specific purpose. I still have several little jigs and fixtures I made over my last years working, that nobody will figure out the actual purpose for, without asking, that served me very well to make several different jobs all the easier.

The circles around the square holes, look to me more like they are on the metal, rather than in it, as would be typical of contact marks from repeated use. So, like as not, a specially made height (or depth) setting fixture, for either a specific tool or a specific repeated job.

Short of the minor miracle of someone coming up with a distant memory of using a set just like that on a Smiths Patented Discombobulator, for setting the arc gap on the warp rod, it pretty much looks to me like a decent enough grab with the Mic head, and the other bits can be grafted in to whatever project they may be able to be fitted to.

Back