• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Antique lathe

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Maybe its very old and actually historically valuable - maybe its from like early Victorian age? It also could be assembled from different parts and thus look strange.

Here is very similar machine - http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=37375

Notice the chuck, back hand wheel, and in picture is the wheel that goes in the bottom. It feels like metal cutting "Treadle lathe" with bottom missing.

Tom O

Ultra Member
That looks vaguely familiar I’m wondering if I’ve seen that style of lathe going through Modern Tools main door.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
My Sebastian lathe "should" have legs like that, but someone chopped them off @ 10" to make it fit on a bench :eek:

This one isn't mine (because it isn't amputated)

sebastian2.jpg

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe its very old and actually historically valuable - maybe its from like early Victorian age? It also could be assembled from different parts and thus look strange.

Here is very similar machine - http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=37375

Notice the chuck, back hand wheel, and in picture is the wheel that goes in the bottom. It feels like metal cutting "Treadle lathe" with bottom missing.

I think your right about that wheel, It would be the same concept as the old sewing machines. I was looking on that site for treadle lathes and I didn't find any other pictures that were close.
Its interesting for sure maybe I'll have to slip through the stay at home and go and have a look at it.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So yours has been adapted to take an electric motor, How does it cut? , being that old its a piece of history I imagine they are quite rare.
For that time it must have been pretty incredible to run when back then spinning magic all day but it must have been tough to get tools not like today.
and I love those old tool posts that's what I first learned on but never knew how to really sharpen anything.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Mine needs a rebuild. I put an el3ctric motor on it and a synthetic belt, sounded sweet but the headstock needs new Babbitt and a new base. Long term project.

Well built for the time all things consider3d

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk