• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Another "Thinking about acquiring a mill" thread

justindavidow

(Justin)
Hi folks!

I'm hankering to get back into the milling game.

It's been.. a long time since I've owned a mill, and I've never owned a remotely "new" mill, so I'm struggling to find many good resources on a good industry-wide comparison of options.

I have a few current personal restrictions; as much as I'd love to pick up a knee mill: I simply cannot justify stripping one down and moving it into a basement for ~2 years. Def looking forward to getting a workshop built in 2023+ but there's no time like the present! I have access to a much larger / more rigid mill for specific jobs (local makerspaces are amazing!) but really need something for the 1:00AM "will this work?" and the odd weekend "hey buddy" jobs.

I'm looking for a benchtop class mill. I'm not expecting something to run mass production batches or miracles; I'm well aware of the limitations and issues with benchtop machines in general.

My "requirements" currently:

• belt drive
  • need to be able to get the unit into and out of a basement without it taking a week.
  • R8 taper
  • 175mm * 425mm (or 7"x17") minimum X/Y travels on the table
  • min 300mm (12") in available "Z" (table-to-spindle)
  • at least 50mm (2") in spindle travel
  • single phase power input

If anyone is curious about WHY these specific requirements: ask and I'd be happy to explain. (I doubt most would care though! :D)

I've been looking at:

• Precision Matthews PM-25MV or PM-30MV or PM-727V
  • Little Machine Shop 6500 (Sieg X2.7)
  • King Canada KC-20VS-2 (needs a belt drive conversion)
  • Grizzly G0704 (needs a belt drive conversion)
  • Busy Bee CX601 (needs a belt drive conversion)

I'd love to know:

• What other machines should I be looking at? Is anyone aware of anything else around this category?
  • Does anyone have a machine in this category have any thoughts or concerns to share?
  • Does anyone have one of the above machines that I can shoot a few questions to?

Thanks folks!

justindavidow

(Justin)
if only it weren't so expensive to get it here

I feel you there @SomeGuy . As someone who lives in Winnipeg; we're basically equally as far from nearly every single shipping option in North America, not to mention the cross-border costs.

I am VERY lucky to have access to a commercial loading dock. That makes the shipping process a whole lot easier (and fortunately cheaper!)

justindavidow

(Justin)
Currently I'm leaning towards the PM-30MV; Somehow I missed that the PM-727V only has 15" (380mm) of X travel which scratches it off my list.

At this stage; I'm trying to figure out the assembly weight of the major "chunks" on the PM-30MV, I'll need to be able to break down and transport the mill a few times a year and need to know that I'll be able to handle doing that.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Budget? Used? Or is new ok Justin? Why is the belt a must have? The PM-30 does look good. My little mill is a CX600 craftex. half the weight and quite a bit smaller than the PM-30. Also not $4K CAD....

justindavidow

(Justin)

AIMING for delivered machine cost to be under $5500. I can be convinced on better value though.

I'm planning to add a DRO, Table feed (or two), Powered Z, a half-decent vise, (etc) all at a later stage. I will likely DIY many of the electronics and just use steppers for most of this; it's simply more comfortable for me to go that route.

Used? Or is new ok Justin?

I'm not against a used machine; leaves more room for tooling and allows me to get something together faster.

I was intending to buy new... or refurbished; I'm all for talking to shops and getting a cosmetic defect return or whatnot, I could hardly care what a machine looks like as long as it does what's needed of it.

Given where I live (Winnipeg); used is rare and generally over-priced. With all the current shit going on in the world (and being busy with my actual job!) I'm not interested in traveling to find something in AB/ON. In a few years when looking for a knee mill and a project; I'll def aim to pick up something used and in need of some love.

Why is the belt a must have?

TLDR: Basically just for personal reasons.

I have run smaller gear-head mills in the past; it's simply a much bigger pain in the ass for me for motor changes, gear replacements, belts allow for a MUCH wider array of pulley sizes for peak torque at various speeds, etc.
I find (personally) belt-drive spindles _tend_ to be better built and easier to maintain over time.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I feel you there @SomeGuy . As someone who lives in Winnipeg; we're basically equally as far from nearly every single shipping option in North America, not to mention the cross-border costs.

I am VERY lucky to have access to a commercial loading dock. That makes the shipping process a whole lot easier (and fortunately cheaper!)

Shipping on items like this suck in general...I've only done it a couples times (my lift and my big tool box) and both of those were Canadian retailers. I've done big buys from the states, but it always ends up costing more than anticipated. I'd order a PM mill tomorrow it I could just pay the US price without exchange, duty, brokerage, extra freight, etc.

My work doesn't have a dock height loading door but they have shipping/receiving with a large forklift and even a bridge crane, then I could just pop it on my trailer to get it home...so I also have some flexibility on receiving.

Currently I'm leaning towards the PM-30MV; Somehow I missed that the PM-727V only has 15" (380mm) of X travel which scratches it off my list.

At this stage; I'm trying to figure out the assembly weight of the major "chunks" on the PM-30MV, I'll need to be able to break down and transport the mill a few times a year and need to know that I'll be able to handle doing that.

I'm looking for a small but potent machine, basically as much heft as I could find that would fit into a fairly narrow 3-4ish feet width.

John Conroy

Premium Member
You might be surprised by shipping prices from PM. I bought a PM1054TV (3500 pounds) mill from them last summer and the shipping and customs brkerage fee was less than half what I was quoted by KBC Tools to ship a similar sized mill from Ontario to Edmonton. Send them an email and get a quote. You won't find another vendor to match their warranty. Try getting warranty or even replacement parts from Busy Bee or King Canada, many have tried with little success.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Here's things from my perspective:

I've moved full sized Bridgeport mills out of basements, and they go down easier than up.
I have moved a full sized mill from Richmond to Calgary for 800$. Things have gone up, but these things are possible.

The best value is in used, providing you can evaluate one, and you manage to find a decent one.

I also second the 'try Precision Matthews' comments from John.

justindavidow

(Justin)
You might be surprised by shipping prices from PM

Well; I have to say; I reached out to PM today to get a quote for a PM-30MV (and some accessories) shipped including lift-gate service and I can say for sure: you're 100% right; I was very surprised at what a great shipping option they offered.

I spend a few minutes yesterday contemplating getting the pallet flat-rate shipped to Pembina (North Dakota) and then just driving down and picking it up myself.

The quote PM gave me JUST about beats the flat-rate + gas costs, and includes full lift-gate at home.

So far my opinion of Precision Matthews has been astounding, and I'm very much looking forward to continuing with the process! Now if only it wasn't so damn cold..

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Well; I have to say; I reached out to PM today to get a quote for a PM-30MV (and some accessories) shipped including lift-gate service and I can say for sure: you're 100% right; I was very surprised at what a great shipping option they offered.

I spend a few minutes yesterday contemplating getting the pallet flat-rate shipped to Pembina (North Dakota) and then just driving down and picking it up myself.

The quote PM gave me JUST about beats the flat-rate + gas costs, and includes full lift-gate at home.

So far my opinion of Precision Matthews has been astounding, and I'm very much looking forward to continuing with the process! Now if only it wasn't so damn cold..

Can you share the quote numbers with me? Private message is fine if you don't want to make it public.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I am glad you are considering a PM. I have been really happy with my lathe last March? I do have a local company that brings things over the border so I just met them there and did a trailer switch. The border is near by. Shortly after getting the lathe, the motor seemed hesitant to start on higher gears. I suspected the motor start cap and sent them an email. Within 2 hours, they had one in the mail to me and a tracking number was in my Inbox. Hard to beat that service. I told them in a follow up email that I was not even sure it was the cap but they said no problem, lets start there and see if it works. It did.

Further to that, Quinn Dunki )Blondiehacks has a video on her PM blowing a motor and the steps she went through to getting it repaired. It is good to hear the story on PM's support. Granted, she would be a high profile user so advantageous for PM to look after her.

As to your choices, I have a Sieg X3 bought from Little Machine Shop. I think the mill is fine but I find it very light duty. I suspect though that the set up is poor (bench is on casters, cutters might be crappy, etc, weak operator....) and use it so seldom that I have not taken the time to make it more rigid. I did tram it and off very slightly but over all, pretty good. The mill itself is well supported for CNC conversions and online support by users. Little Machine Shop was good to deal with to. I have, supposedly, a DRO coming for it and if it ever arrives, I will take the time to deep dive the machine and get to know it better.

I am thinking about upgrading to a PM Mill. But again, as only an occasional user, cannot convince myself yet.

So, glad that @John Conroy encouraged you to look at PM. I second that.

One other note, I would suggest getting a quote. From the time I got my quote to actually placing the order, my lathe went up $400 US! They honoured the quote. Had I waited a few more days to place the order, ......:mad: You don't have to buy it based on the quote, but at least it gives you a couple of weeks where you know the price, should they go up without warning, as mine did.

uuuuuu....aaaahhhhh the smell of a new machine....:D

Cheers,
Shawn

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Granted, she would be a high profile user so advantageous for PM to look after her.
Matt is a frequent contributor and sponsor on the other site. I have talked with him by phone and tried to intervene when there was a dissatisfied customer on that forum loudly proclaiming how unfair Matt was. It turns out Matt even offered to give this guy a full refund. He really does try to take care of his customers, even when he's losing money.

justindavidow

(Justin)
Well; I bit-the-bullet and placed an order for a PM-30MV.

I ended up deciding on a PM product after positive after positive after positive review from users here and on hobby-machinist; even the users who ended up selling or returning machines: have nothing but good things to say about PM.

That narrowed my options down to the PM-25MV or PM-30MV, and although I think the PM-25MV MIGHT have been slightly better for my specific requirements and circumstances: the benefits of the PM-30MV and the minimal additional cost really pushed me to select the larger (and heavier) model.

ETA is 3-6 weeks at this stage (maybe longer) which I'm totally fine with. I need to get some space cleared up anyhow. ;)

I'm planning to document the process and will def share info as things happen, until things actually proceed and I am 110% sure that the whole order isn't going to get canceled, I'll refrain from sharing much. (Getting ahead of myself feels like a sure-fire way for something to go wrong!)

Thanks folks!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Matt is a frequent contributor and sponsor on the other site. I have talked with him by phone and tried to intervene when there was a dissatisfied customer on that forum loudly proclaiming how unfair Matt was. It turns out Matt even offered to give this guy a full refund. He really does try to take care of his customers, even when he's losing money.
Yup I think PM must be smart business people cuz I think they realize that even loosing money once in a blue moon to satisfy a customer pays them dividends I the long run. I can't think of any other retailer of Asian machinery that has such a good reputation. I know I will certainly look towards them if I have any new machinery needs. Compare the PM reputation with Busy Bee and considering that while there can be some differences in the machines themselves the real big difference is in customer satisfaction.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I think you'll be happy dealing with Matt and the folks at PM. Two years previous to the PM mill purchase I bought a new lathe from Modern Tool and I'm very happy with the machine but when it came to dealing with them for after sales service the experience was not at the same level as PM. When I bought my PM1054 the shipping got quite delayed due to congestion at the Port of Los Angeles but the ports seem to getting back to normal now so hopefully your machine will arrive when predicted. This post documented my purchase from beginning to delivery. The machine is every bit as good as the sales literature says.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I forgot to mention if you were going to call Matt, to pick his brain a bit about mill knockdown for transportation/moving into basement or whatever if I understood your list desirable requirements. There may be pros & cons to that depending on the machine. I had an RF-45 mill & by the time I figured out the lift equipment to pull the gear head off the column, move it in chunks & re-assemble to another location, maybe with a constrained ceiling height, might be better to just get the right moving equipment/know-how & move it assembled with the gearhead low etc. Pulling the table doesn't save a high % of weight but may well be desirable for other reasons. The heavy chunks are head/motor, column & base. Sometimes pulling the column off the base results in alignment issues that you fight with later on, but again, machine specific. We have some forum experts knowledgeable in moving machine equipment, so ask questions beforehand.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm a fan of nmoving a machine as intact 'as possible' Yeah I had to completely disassemble Bert's machines just to move them but that was different...

justindavidow

(Justin)
Well; I just got an email that my new PM-30MV has shipped!

I was not expecting it to ship so soon; but what a nice surprise!

I don't have tracking information yet (I have the details; but I expect it will take a day or two before it works!) and I have not yet communicated with the shipper to arrange delivery info. Once I actually GET the mill I'll document the whole process much better and share for anyone interested!