• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Another Lathe...

Titusak

Don't judge ! I'm shopping !
So, here a smaller lathe which fit better my small shop downstairs. I don't planned to lathe big piece, and I want to use my first lathe more as a learning tool than anything else.
The one from the auction is really too big, even it's really attractive price wise.
But this one is smaller and definitively closer.

Here a picture:

1728830194575.png

I also notice this deal here:

1728830233003.png

they ask 500$ for it. I wonder if it would be a good investment for later.

Thanks !

The mini lathes can be brought up to ok level with mods and upgrades. I mean ok and not even close to good. Most are boardline junk. Some a horrible. Poor quality control in a bid to make em as cheap as possible approach leaves most if not all of them with terrible tolerances. A guy could get lucky I guess. I bought the bigger version in a BB 9x20 and it would take an entire thread to go over all the mods I had to do to it just to make it cut ok.

Better to wait and find one of the quality small lathes than the mini lathes. There is a reason they are all over the market places, usually with basic tooling. People got frustrated trying to use them and gave up.

Before you get a mini mill or lathe spent an afternoon on ytube and watch the pile of videos of the work it takes just to get them to ok.

In the lighter weight class a Myford is a good entry point. They’re UK made (watch out for clones) and parts are still available which you cannot say about a re-badged Chinese machine. Call King and ask about sourcing repair parts.

The Myfords are well made/British craftsmanship and full featured machines. You can learn a lot and do a lot of serious machining with one.

In the Myford you want to look for a machine with power feed on both axes and preferably a quick change gearbox. A Super 7 is a good choice. Myford developed a lot of accessories to broaden their capability. Things like a vertical slide to do light milling, a taper turn attachment and if you really want to go there a turret tailstock for repetitive secondary ops.

The other thing about Myfords is that they have been made for many years and have gathered a cult following in the UK model machinist crowd. There’s a ton of know how to draw upon (forums etc.) and the users have figured out lots of tweaks to do more with them. I’ve added a DRO to mine.

The flip side is they cost more than the Asian mini lathes but then they have good resale value.

I have a Super 7 with QCGB as well as a Standard Modern 1120, the biggest difference between the two is the Myford (and any mini lathe) is a lighter, less rigid machine so you can’t take as big a cut with it. You have to have more patience and keep in mind it’s inherently less rigid but it is still a precision machine.

If you can find one in good shape it’s a good place to get your feet wet on a smaller but serious machine with the advantage it’s still light enough that two (strong) people can walk it down a flight of stairs to the basement - or up the elevator to the spare room of your condo (with deference to @TorontoBuilder) late one evening! ;)

Good luck with your hunt! There is always going to be someone here to offer the benefit of their experience and free advice to give you a hand spending your hard earned money on good tools to rise up the experience curve! ;)

D :cool:

2nd for a Myford, or South bend, craftsman, Sherline*, Taig, emco are the names to look for. If you want a forever small lathe then get in to the precision European lathes, they are out there, they are pricy but you likely will never find a better lathe.

I made the budget mistake with my BB 9x20 and its not worth it, save up, look for a quality one, participate in these forums, word of mouth might get you a great opportunity. Word of mouth helped me get my 9inch standard modern lathe

Alright ! Thanks guys !
I found this one.
It's a lathe that I should be able to fit in the garage.
I don't see any major red flags
They are asking 2000$, might be a bit expensive, what do you think ?

1729016527177.png

Thanks you !

I think 2000$ for a SB 9A is attainable, with a little waiting. The 9A is waaay better than a 9C (the one above) and those ways have had a history.

OTOH this will get you going. With 2 chucks you should be able to get this (above lathe) for about 1300-1400$.

Titusak go have a look at it and see it for yourself. It looks decent in the photo's. Have a feel for how tight things are and or loose. Ask if it has the change gears. He may drop down to the 1200/1400 range for you. If your not sure what to look for on the lathe there is lots of help on here.

Back