Product Another ELS option

Product

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Ran across this while looking at ELS options.
Looks well put together.

I'm still watching the presentation, but first impression it's a little pricey for what you get in comparison to others.

I like that he has attempted to have both metric and imperial capabilities and also tried to add BA threading capability.

However, he made some coding choices to minimize the complexity of the input and interface and maximize data input speed using buttons only that compromise the usability and functionality.

The choice of how to implement different systems presents two paths, selecting two different modes and two separate coding paths, or selecting one base mode and then using conversions. This developer selected metric and then opts to convert to imperial mathematically. Then he also added British Association at a user's request.

One other factor he landed on was to limit the choice of the minimum measurement input increment to 0.05mm. This means that any calculated imperial or BA thread that is not divisible by 0.05mm cannot be cut. For example BA 14 pitch is 23 mm so the correct pitch cannot be calculated.

This particular type of issue is why my buddy and I selected an encoder wheel input to allow expedient data input at a much much finer granularity so that compromises in available threads do not have to be made. A primary reason for a electronic gear box is to resolve issues of mechanical gearboxes not being able to cut desired threads.

I just do not understand the logic of such choices and compromises. Unless the person doesn't know how to code for using encoder for data input

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The encoder version looks to be $200 CDN shipped.
The Clough42 is ~$80 delivered and you still need the TI board ($71 plus shipping) and encoder. And you have to put the kit together.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
The Clough42 is ~$80 delivered and you still need the TI board ($71 plus shipping) and encoder. And you have to put the kit together.
I edited my original post.

You cant make simple cost comparisons when two disparate systems each have chosen to make serious compromises in their design and coding that will affect the usefulness of each system.

So far I'd not want to purchase either system

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Don't get me wrong...

I do like this as a product versus say an actual set of change gears, or even a crappy gear box. IF I did not know I could make a simple device like this for myself that would only do what it does I'd buy this in a second, IF I only wanted a simple gear box program. I like it better than clough42s

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Don't get me wrong...

I do like this as a product versus say an actual set of change gears, or even a crappy gear box. IF I did not know I could make a simple device like this for myself that would only do what it does I'd buy this in a second, IF I only wanted a simple gear box program. I like it better than clough42s
I was thinking that an encoder for pitch input would be a good idea.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
sorry I'm not sure I follow you, do you mean you will put your clough42 els up for sale?

I actually never used an actual C42 board, I did initially use his code on a Launchpad. Based on what I learned from that I made IMO an improved version that does not require the Launchpad or any other board. Wrote new code. The idea is to offer something that requires no soldering, fabrication or loading of code, more plug and play.

Last edited: