Another Brown and Sharpe

That-Guy

Premium Member
So because I have issues around self control, I have another Brown and Sharpe #2 Light Type horizontal mill. This one however is a plain, not a universal. I've noticed that this must have been the "budget" end of the spectrum ( not that anything that came from B&S was ever cheap!) as it doesn't have the power rapid, or the build in "coolant" pump (AKA oil pump) as my other one has.

The next issue I've run into, is that I have since sold my skid-steer since I last moved my other mill. All I've got now is the smallest Towmotor they made in the 50's. While it is an amazing little machine its max cap is 2000Lbs, although I've found it will do 2550Lbs with some stupidity. The B&S is closer to 3300Lbs and is now stuck on my trailer. I should be able to get some assistance with it this evening and I'll toss the photos up here.

IMG_20240212_093532.jpg

Does anyone out there have a Brown and Sharpe indexing head? I'd love to have one for these mills. I've got an oddball Swedish one that works just fine, but the names just don't match.

And here is a picture of the little Towmotor, just in case someone thinks its neat. IMG_20240108_184530.jpg

justin1

Super User
jealous of the mill I want to get a good Horizontal to go with my vertical mill.

If you have extra 1000lbs of Weight laying around tie it to back of the forklift it could probly pick the machine up off flat deck enough to pull trailer out from under it atleast. Shouldn't even have to mess with hydraulics as your limiting factor is probly the counter weight and not the hydraulics

That-Guy

Premium Member
jealous of the mill I want to get a good Horizontal to go with my vertical mill.

If you have extra 1000lbs of Weight laying around tie it to back of the forklift it could probly pick the machine up off flat deck enough to pull trailer out from under it atleast. Shouldn't even have to mess with hydraulics as your limiting factor is probly the counter weight and not the hydraulics
So we used a backhoe to get it off the trailer, once in the shop I could half lift/slide it with the forklift. The hydraulics on the forklift are set up so that as soon as the tail lifts, the bypass pops. I could crank it up, but its old and I don't want to wreck anything....more.... (you'll see in the next post.) I needed seals for the valve body this past summer and could not get anything from anyone. Believe it or not, CAT said they can still get the parts, but just wouldn't. Everyone else said it is a proprietary valve and they wont touch it; scared of repercussions from CAT. Its a real PITA.

That-Guy

Premium Member
IMG_20240213_181842.jpg IMG_20240213_183859.jpg IMG_20240213_183849.jpg

So... I screwed up.....Forgot about the mast on the Towmotor.... Anyone know where to buy a garage door track/rail??? At least it's in the shop, and I can hook up power this week. The vise sure is a beast. The machine also came with 2 arbours and a few other bits and pieces including and external oil tank with recirculating pump.

justin1

Super User
Hydraulics

Didn't think they would of put a bypass on forklift that old but I guess they knew people would exceed the limits.

Garage door track rail is pretty easy to find call around to garage door installers as they usually keep coupe sticks on hand. I think some home depots in the bigger cities have it as off the shelf item too.

If you need a 4"x 8" x ?? slab mill I know someone who has one laying around that would be interested in selling it.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Glad it's in. Looks like it'll fit in nicely with the rest of your machines. Sucks about the garage door track, but looks easily fixable. Could have been worse, door could have been up at the time and come down on you.

That-Guy

Premium Member
Glad it's in. Looks like it'll fit in nicely with the rest of your machines. Sucks about the garage door track, but looks easily fixable. Could have been worse, door could have been up at the time and come down on you.
Your quite right, but I may have noticed then! lol. :rolleyes: