• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

An excellent free (for makers) CAD

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I could but jeepers it would be nice to be able to add threads with the click of a button like F360
To make you feel better, its the same deal with base level Solidworks/Maker I assume. OTOH I've heard some people say that 'real' threads from F360 can have a tough time physically fitting in 3DP parts. I'm not sure if its a limitation of available thread classes or something about printing itself. I'm not familiar with either unfortunately. Anyway, generating your own might be the only option. Which isnt all that scary & useful/necessary for basically anything which isn't an off the shelf fastener. Need an M1 thread on a 29mm shaft? No problem. But you will never see a nut or shaft that size.

Another thing I have been relatively oblivious to until recently is VBA, Cad macros open up a whole world of cool things you can do & I'm wondering out loud if threading might be one of them. Just poking around on this now, but I'm not sure how widely accepted VBA or similar is to other apps.

BaitMaster

Super User
Yes, I mainly use Alibre for 3D printing and I’d like the ability to make threaded parts.
Even the full meal deal alibre doesn’t have that feature that last time I checked.

It looks like SE does though?

Have you tried?

I saw a thread tool under the 3D printing tab up top….. I didn’t try it though.

I’m going to use it for a few more projects…..

The problem is that sometimes I do things for other people and make money. As of yet, I’ve used freecad, or solidworks maker when I had the licence, which you can use up to a limit.

I’ve considered alibre atom for the commercial stuff I do just to have a clear conscience.

Solid edge community edition clearly states it’s for non commercial use, so that is what it is.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Even the full meal deal alibre doesn’t have that feature that last time I checked.

It looks like SE does though?

Have you tried?

I saw a thread tool under the 3D printing tab up top….. I didn’t try it though.

I’m going to use it for a few more projects…..

The problem is that sometimes I do things for other people and make money. As of yet, I’ve used freecad, or solidworks maker when I had the licence, which you can use up to a limit.

I’ve considered alibre atom for the commercial stuff I do just to have a clear conscience.

Solid edge community edition clearly states it’s for non commercial use, so that is what it is.
It’s one of the most requested features on the alibre forum.
From a CNC standpoint lack of easily defined, functional threads prevents it from being used to design anything that needs threads machined.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Does F360 thread dropdown allow you to specify class of fit for any given nominal thread size?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does F360 thread dropdown allow you to specify class of fit for any given nominal thread size?

Really BIG DRUMROLL PLEASE!

TODAY is the day that the big hairy guy gets to tell Peter the Great CAD Wizzard something he didn't know about Fusion 360!

YES! YES it does Peter! Might not be perfect though! But you can also change the OD and ID from the standards to tighten or loosen the fit a bit.

In no way does answering your question admit me to the great CADre of CAD Gurus on here. I just happened to run across this the other day. Just don't ask me how to use it or where I saw it... LOL!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Haha, thanks.
So does it provide any kind of wizard to apply a thread onto a non-standard shaft? (And I don't mean cosmetic thread, I mean a real thread). So using my prior example, I have a 29mm shaft (vs a standard 28 or 30mm diameter or whatever). Can I apply an M1 thread to the oddball?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Haha, thanks.
So does it provide any kind of wizard to apply a thread onto a non-standard shaft? (And I don't mean cosmetic thread, I mean a real thread). So using my prior example, I have a 29mm shaft (vs a standard 28 or 30mm diameter or whatever). Can I apply an M1 thread to the oddball?
This is how I did it back when I was mucking around with the 3D printed harmonic drive.
1717977664459.png

The nut was done the same way and also 3D printed.
1717977953615.png
Eventually I had to glue an aluminum into it when I tightened the nut to much and snapped the hub where the threads started.

1717978101629.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup, John. That's what I call the manual way. Same how I do it. As opposed to picking a thread from a drop-down selection.

Just a quick search - it does appear F360 can specify thread class in addition to other inputs, so that's a nice feature for sure.
1717988569215.png