• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Am I just cheap?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I noticed this machine offered in an auction that closes in a day and a half. Kinda cute:

img.axd

But it looks like the stroke is less than 6 inches. Maybe 5? It is reasonably clean but I think that power hacksaws tend to live a pretty hard life. The auction description says "Working" but that is it.

I thought if it went for $50 or $60 all in, that would be about full value.

The current bid (with 33 hours remaining) is $130. BUT, there is a 13% buyers premium AND 13% HST to pay so the out-the-door price is already $166!!

That seems insane to me. Am I missing something important?

BTW, in the same auction, there is a corded portable bandsaw with the bid at $150 ($192 OTD). A new one from Princess Auto is $190?!?

Craig

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I see them around here (Regina, SK) for around $100 sometimes less, sometimes more. Never bought one don't have the room, but they do seem neat. I would not pay that much for it for sure.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Agree with @Hruul. There's no denying the old school factor, but if you want it for actual use you'll need to put some work into it. They are one of those tools that bring back memories for many of us as we likely used our first one in a shop class years ago. Kinda like Simpson VOMs—lots of memories, not as much functionality, cost a fortune for a working, restored, or new one (if you can find it). But pretty in the shop nonetheless.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
1. Some stuff at auction goes much more then new stuff - I seen more then double for small items. Watch out!
2. I saw same type saw in Calgary auction few months ago go for over 100 - I think about 140-150 with fees. It was almost identical.
3. Portables by good brands usually go for around 100 with fees in Calgary area.

I would also not pay so much for one - I would take one for say $20 or so but not for > 100.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have that saw, picked it up from an estate sale where I was let in with a buddy a week before the public. Crazy pick , anvils, tools, machines, coke-cola vending .......

Do I use it? All the time . It is great for cutting square tubing. I get it going, plus the 7x12 plus the portaband..... they all have their sweet spot.

Repetitive same length cuts, power hacksaw all day long . Faster to reload , set and forget than my 7x12 imho

I’d probably pay 100 all day long . Cheap and easy to replace parts, farmer engineering 101

And it is Canadian made.... out of Winnipeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
See its people like Kevin above that jack up prices for these things! I am indeed looking for a portable bandsaw - main plus is small teeth on the band which can deal with thin walled stuff easily.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Love mine. I would never part with it, and I have a bandsaw. $100 and came with a big honking 3/4 hp motor and 27" long piece of 10" deep I beam. Thanks @Johnwa Have to block it into a corner other wise it walks all over the basement floor LOL.

I-BEAM.JPG
Anyone want this I beam? It's been sitting in the shed for two years now pissing the wife off. I'd saw it up for mill fodder but don't have anything big enough to do that LOL.

Craig

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm always game for I beams. plenty of uses for making jigs, etc.

I'm prepping to sell my Keller hacksaw. Selling it with 3 blades, one blade is really worn, one barely used and one brand new. Will be asking 150$ for it. I've used up 3 or 4 blades in it, and like it, but I've run out of room! (and I haven't used it since getting the 9X12 Horiz bandsaw).

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm not sure what you mean. My blades are just over 1" deep. Oh, and there is only the new blade and the slightly used blade left. I forgot I broke the used up blade. I don't use regular hacksaw blades in it, but I guess I could.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you mean. My blades are just over 1" deep. Oh, and there is only the new blade and the slightly used blade left. I forgot I broke the used up blade. I don't use regular hacksaw blades in it, but I guess I could.

Regular hacksaw blades are about 1/2" deep. You can get heavy duty PHS blades that are 1" deep but step down to 1/2" at the ends. Been looking at them but haven't committed to a purchase yet. Wondering if that's what you have?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
no, my blades are 1 1/8" end-to-end. they were quite pricey (Lennox)

Interesting.... That wouldn't fit in my PHS unless I'm missing something here. This thing only mounts 1/2" deep blades at the motor end?

trlvn

Ultra Member
It seems to me that the motor-side blade holder is missing from the machine on auction:

img.axd

Do these normally cut on the pull stroke?

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It seems to me that the motor-side blade holder is missing from the machine on auction:Craig

Hard to tell from the image but it's probably OK. The blade is held with a pin or screw on the motor side. The other side has a blade tensioner.

Craig

historicalarms

Ultra Member
An old fellow we used to know made some very serviceable butcher knives out of those 1" saw blades. most were just forged & hammered out to shape and then ground to finish. Put an edge on them ...then be careful, they weren't fussy what they cut.

Some, he Damascus folded and forge-welded into beautiful almost presentation knives.