• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Am I a hoarder?

Perry

Ultra Member
So, in the process of cleaning up my garage I had to ask myself......"Am I a hoarder?" Do people who have the "fix it" skill in general lean more towards the hoarder type? "I could fix that." "I could use that at a later time...to fix something." Lol

The clean up is going pretty good. Making some good head way and reclaiming space.
Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 21-38-39 Scotts Weed B Gon MAX Ready-to-Use Weed Control_Killer Herbi...png

I had a few of these in my garage that were given to me. The last two of them have been sitting around wasting space so I thought I would use them up this evening and make some space.

Well spraying away I noticed the nice constant spray pattern. This could be used on a small hobby mill and make a great coolant pump. "I could use that" hahahaha

NOPE! Into the recycling bin, but first......whats inside that wand?

I was talking to one of the local guys as I was doing this and said he'd like to see what was inside. So here is the post!

DSC_5091.JPG

DSC_5092.JPG

It's interesting to see the first wand had three AA batteries, but the end cap looked like it was designed for four batteries. This made me pull the second wand apart and it actually had four AA batteries. The plastic housing had been slightly modified on the first wand to block out the fourth battery location. 25% cost savings in batteries for company?

So they are now in the recycling bin..........ALMOST...... hahaha

I kept the AA batteries. That fine spring wire went into my hobby material bin and how could I throw out those two dc motor/pumps?

The ANSWER, YES. My name is Perry. I am a hoarder. Admitting to the problem is the start of recovery.

Last edited:
So, in the process of cleaning up my garage I had to ask myself......"Am I a hoarder?" Do people who have the "fix it" skill in general lean more towards the hoarder type? "I could fix that." "I could use that at a later time...to fix something." Lol

The clean up is going pretty good. Making some good head way and reclaiming space.
View attachment 37243

I had a few of these in my garage that were given to me. The last two of them have been sitting around wasting space so I thought I would use them up this evening and make some space.

Well spraying away I noticed the nice constant spray pattern. This could be used on a small hobby mill and make a great coolant pump. "I could use that" hahahaha

I was talking to one of the local guys as I was doing this and said he'd like to see what was inside. So here is the post!

View attachment 37244

View attachment 37245

It's interesting to see the first wand had three AA batteries, but the end cap looked like it was designed for four batteries. This made me pull the second wand apart and it actually had four AA batteries. The plastic housing had been slightly modified on the first wand to block out the fourth battery location. 25% cost savings in batteries for company?

I kept the AA batteries. That fine spring wire went into my hobby material bin and how could I throw out those two dc motor/pumps?

The ANSWER, YES. My name is Perry. I am a hoarder. Admitting to the problem is the start of recovery.
Hmmmm. Must be me, but I don't see anything wrong with that behavior...... How the heck are you supposed to use it if you have thrown it away? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
From the Mayo Clinic website:

“Hoarding disorder is an ongoing difficulty throwing away or parting with possessions because you believe that you need to save them.”

<because you believe>?

I KNOW I will need that 1985 Honda scooter drive belt, it’s just a matter of time.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Seems like I'm in good company here.

I always take stuff apart to see how it works. Sometimes save something neat for repurposing, although I'm getting pickier about that.

My problem is, that I can look at something and say "I can make XYZ with this" and so I'll save it. And never find time to make XYZ with it. If I can get to it right away I'm good, but so often it sits, and sits..... I've done a big purge the last couple years, but still need to do more.

Better more organized storage is something I've been working on all summer too. There's no sense in keeping it, if you can't find it when you need it.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I remember the time, 12 years ago, going through a divorce, closing down my shop, and having to move 1400sq.ft of equipment to my new house's 400sq.ft. garage! I was not in a good frame of mind!! I had to purge a lot of stuff into the 14 yard rented garbage bin. 30' of wooden benches, chairs, tables, old computers and printers. But what I regret to this day, was throwing out in that bin, a Mimik hydraulic tracing attachment, 10 gallon coolant reservoir and pump and a 16" faceplate:( Thinking....ach..I'll never use this stuff.

Yeah, so now I have hoarding tendencies!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

View attachment 37243

View attachment 37244

View attachment 37245

Yes I'd do the same.
And just to encourage others along their path to "hordum paradise"....did you know pumps in shampoo bottles, fabric softener bottles, windex bottles, etc are a great source of stainless steel springs! I have a wonderfull selection of ss springs from those sources. I just hope someday I will have the opportunity to actually need one to help justify my dismantling of every used bottle pump that I come across.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
So are trampolines. I can't be the only one that has saved springs from broken trampolines for future projects.

I did use one though, for a belt tensioner on a mower deck. Felt pretty proud of myself for that one.....Now what to do with the other 29 of them....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ok fess up time....things I've saved but unlikely to ever use. Brass pin/screws that were used to hold piano strings and lead weights I believe were for the keys. I salvaged these from an old piano that was detailed for the dump. 16914245115042091140984959430428.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
My problem is if I throw it out, a while later (maybe years) I remember I have something like that squirrelled away and spend hours looking for it. Eventually I come to the conclusion I must have thrown it away.
Moral of the story, if something has been hoarded for a while and then is tossed in the trash, keep a list of what has been tossed. Easier to quickly run down the list to see if it's still on site or was binned.

I usually find what I was looking for when I go to put it's replacement away....... Right next to the one I was looking for, recently did that with my cement trowel....:rolleyes:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
“ keep a list of what has been tossed”?

Jeez, now I get to add an Excel list? Would I have to add this action to my already-long list of OCDs?

Quick, hands up - who has multiple plastic bins full of short pieces of wire?