Machine Always to meet new challenges - my first hydraulic press

Machine

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If a young fellow like you has no time to learn CNC, just imagine how an old guy like me feels!

My age is definitely catching up to me.......

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
If a young fellow like you has no time to learn CNC, just imagine how an old guy like me feels!

My age is definitely catching up to me.......

I spend about 6-10 hours a day in my machine shop, and those hours are busy, which is far more diligent than when I'm at work. Even so, a lot of work was delayed, for example, my CNC transformation process had to be temporarily stopped. Perhaps this is a problem that non-professional mechanical enthusiasts have to face, too many areas are completely new and require some time to invest in learning. For example: the hydraulic pressure is now in progress, so that I must learn relevant knowledge, and then also learn some high temperature forging, mold, mold materials, workpiece materials. I think this is a systematic subject, so I can't have a comprehensive study. I can only choose what I must know to do some superficial reading, and then constantly change some unreasonable designs in the production.

I don't know how you all solve the academic blind spots in many unknown areas. I feel that even if I study continuously for 48 hours every day, it is difficult to master comprehensive knowledge in most fields of mechanical manufacturing. I only learn the most important points, and then learn the rest of the general knowledge in the production. I think I lack some experience in the mechanical field, which makes me pay more efforts, but still can not avoid some detours. Although I can still finish the final result, I often waste a lot of energy.

A lot of my skills come from watching YOUTUBE, I jump around watching, and sometimes I watch several videos at the same time, which allows me to greatly shorten the learning process.

I like to work in the sound of music. It relaxes me. Music keeps my mind active. So I like to stay in my shop.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The one thing that most people do not understand or cannot appreciate is that higher education is only partially about teaching us things in a given discipline in a structured way so that each element is learned as it is needed. It is mostly about learning how to learn. Learning how to learn can be self taught but for most people it is much more difficult to do that way. You seem to do ok, way better than most of us, but I think perhaps you have too many distractions. Good music IS NOT one of them!

mbond

Premium Member
The one thing that most people do not understand or cannot appreciate is that higher education is only partially about teaching us things in a given discipline in a structured way so that each element is learned as it is needed. It is mostly about learning how to learn. Learning how to learn can be self taught but for most people it is much more difficult to do that way. You seem to do ok, way better than most of us, but I think perhaps you have too many distractions. Good music IS NOT one of them!
I cannot agree with this too much - learning how to learn is _the_ essential skill that university / college can confer. Most of the courses are asinine at best, and academic types are notoriously pompous.

For context, I have been though every level of school that there is.