• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Almost an OOPs

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I was on the lathe facing a spacer and using the cross feed close to the chuck. I went to engage the cross feed (red handle) but hit the half nut (black handle) instead,,,,,,yikes,,, I got it stopped in time but it was to close to the chuck for comfort. The handles are not that close together but close enough that I grabbed the wrong one.
P1010899.JPG
I do more cross feeding than threading so the solution is fairly easy, take the handle off the half nut and put it back on as required, you can see the handle laying on the base.
P1010900.JPG
Just another thing to be careful of.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll not live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself. ;)

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My leadscrew has a clutch. When i'm not threading, i keep it disengaged. Yours might too.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
No such luck for the 1120. I looked up your 1660 and the manual shows the clutch but there is no such animal on my machine. It was worth a shot though, thanks

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On the 1660, the gearbox has to be set for a threading feed before the leadscrew turns.

My emco v13 has a sliding clutch on the leadscrew itself. So I just keep it disconnected when not threading.

Without that ability to stop the leadscrew, your solution is great.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
All mine has is an interlock. You can have either one but not both. No clutches.

Ive never done that but I'm gunna see if I can take my handle off too.

Ps - I truly believe what you said. The best way to learn is from other people's mistakes!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The interlock wasn't the issue here. Grabbing the wrong handle was. If he had a clutch, the leadscrew wouldn't be turning, nothing would have happened.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The interlock wasn't the issue here. Grabbing the wrong handle was. If he had a clutch, the leadscrew wouldn't be turning, nothing would have happened.

Sorry Darren, I wasn't suggesting it was. I was just saying that's all I have in the way of any protection at all.

I do plan to remove the half nut handle. I could see myself grabbing the wrong handle some day.

deleted_user

Super User
I was on the lathe facing a spacer and using the cross feed close to the chuck. I went to engage the cross feed (red handle) but hit the half nut (black handle) instead,,,,,,yikes,,, I got it stopped in time but it was to close to the chuck for comfort. The handles are not that close together but close enough that I grabbed the wrong one.
View attachment 20628
I do more cross feeding than threading so the solution is fairly easy, take the handle off the half nut and put it back on as required, you can see the handle laying on the base.
View attachment 20629
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll not live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself. ;)

Thanks for sharing this... in fields like engineering they bury their mistakes to avoid potential liability leading to many missed learning opportunities

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry Darren, I wasn't suggesting it was. I was just saying that's all I have in the way of any protection at all.

I do plan to remove the half nut handle. I could see myself grabbing the wrong handle some day.
gotcha, was just adding some clarification.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
View attachment 20628
"
Smart sand easy solution.

"you'll not live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself" ....I was on a pretty good roll myself for the first 50+ years but now the challenge is remember not to repeat them.