• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Zerks and Their Threads

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've been a grease gun collector for a long time for some odd reason, and could talk about them all day. It started in my teens when I noticed how many people threw them out because they thought they didn't work, but they actually didn't know how to operate them properly (they are pretty clever tools). Anyways, I was doing some welding repairs on a sluice box and replacing some Zerks when I ran into some problems. It's just a hobby box but was quite old and had lots of fittings. When I pulled them they looked and felt different to me. I do have a grease fitting thread tester so was able to determine they were BSPT threads. I plug welded the holes, drilled new ones and tapped for standard 1/4 -28's. But in the process of looking for my thread tester I found an old catalog in my grease gun collection. When I hunted around online I found an updated link to the catalog and a really cool history and explanation of Zerk nomenclature—such as why a 1/4 Zerk is actually smaller than a 1/8.

It's way more info than most normal people ever want to know about grease fitting threads--but fascinating reading if you are an insomniac like me. It's also a keeper of a catalog...one of those old school sales books that sought to educate as well as sell. The illustrations are so professional as well. I love stuff like that. The good stuff starts on page 6.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...3/1464722538074/GL+Huyett+Grease+Fittings.pdf

Last edited:

yycwelder

I find that really interesting and what an amazing resource! Thanks for the link, I’ll be saving that for reference. I’d love to have a physical copy though. Something about my tactile senses that need to be stimulated. Great post! I love these kinds of super specific details!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Something about my tactile senses that need to be stimulated. Great post! I love these kinds of super specific details!

Totally with you on that one...but too cheap to fill Epson's pockets to print out 300 pages. I contacted the company but they won't send one. I printed the first 12 pages or so, then downloaded the PDF for future reference. My son is training me to put stuff like this on Google drive.

yycwelder

As long as you have a digital copy then not all is lost if they remove the link. A real shame they won’t send out official copies though. I’d love to have one. May have to take the file to staples and get a proper print out. I’m a sucker for this kind of stuff. Technology is great though, it allows for interacting with historic resources and connecting with like minded individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk