• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

all the torque in the world

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Had to laugh at this. Really stuck bolts on a hydraulic cylinder. Two guys pulling on a huge, say 20', snipe and this was after heating the bolts. All the torque in the world says the narrator. Imagine shearing it off - then how do you get in there to drill it out?

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 9.08.42 AM.jpg

Jswain

Joe
Seen a couple 48" pipe wrenches break pushing on them with a Volvo 120 loader....oops.

Also broke loose some 3 1/2" door bolts on a 10,000psi BOP in our cellar using a 5/8" cable sling & a 50ton trolley crane

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Seen a couple 48" pipe wrenches break pushing on them with a Volvo 120 loader....oops.

Also broke loose some 3 1/2" door bolts on a 10,000psi BOP in our cellar using a 5/8" cable sling & a 50ton trolley crane

I routinely use an 8ft pipe on a 3ft Johnson Bar. Tractor wheel nuts are 800ft lbs. Disk Gang Nuts are 1200. Helps to be big and heavy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do when big $hit needs worked on...rosebud torches and 4x torque multipliers can make things "snap" quite loudly when stuff finally moves.

I have a big torque multiplier, but it works like crap.

Hard to beat a big piece of pipe...... unless you are clueless like those guys iin the video. Can't fix stupid!

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Hard to beat a big piece of pipe...
Was trying to break loose a pinion nut on the front diff of a '72 F250. Regular 1/2" drive Snap-On 12" ratchet wasn't doing it. Tried a cheap breaker bar w/ a 2' snipe, the swivel just popped. Out comes the ratchet again, supplemented w/ a 4' snipe. It broke loose. The ratchet, that is.

When I visited the Snap-On truck for a repair kit, I was honest about how it got broke. He smiled, installed the repair kit & told me to get out when I tried to pay for it.