• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Advice on quick cable disconnect for DC power supply to a motor

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I have a DC motor, 1 or 1.5 hp irrc which is mounted on a dive unit (speed reduction counter shaft and heavy cast frame) under a bench. A DC motor driver supplies power from atop of the bench. I think its 180V. What I'd like is a cable coming out of the DC motor to a connector that plugs into a connector on the cable coming from the DC motor driver. Everything is indoors.

Something like an XLR connector, except they are not power rated. Ideally inexpensive and on Amazon. Powercon would be great, but all the reasonably priced ones on amazon are cable to panel.

I want be able to pull this drive/motor assembly out for oiling and service which is a pita to do with it hardwired.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If I understand the application correctly, maybe XT style connectors? Popular in RC & ancillary equipment. The 60 refers to continuous amp rating which is the parameter of interest. Typically used on 12 AWG stranded wire for reference. They are shape polarity protected to mitigate redandblackacitus. You just solder the stripped end of wire into the metal bullet protruding from housing (I can give you a few tips). They also have panel mount styles using the same format. 90A versions (black) also available. Anderson powerpoles are very useful too but you need a crimping tool.

1728229321947.png1728229358105.png1728229500380.png1728229884136.png

Thanks for ideas gents. Chazz, that sort of form factor seems right. I should have mentioned the cable is an SJ cable, the rubber covered stuff and it needs to be three pin. Pete these are for cable to cable not to a panel and given its 180V it should have positive lock.

I found these that look promising, price is higher than I'd hoped but its not outrageous.

Back