• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Acer E Mill 3VKH Milling Machine

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Is there anything like that feeling when you get a new machine? I get that excited even when I get a new hand tool these days. Must be Covid fatigue.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
9x42 version for 9K USD so maybe ~12K CDN in round numbers
https://www.normanmachinetool.com/product/acer-e-mill-3vs-vertical-milling-machine-9-x-42-table/

I have been wondering to myself why 'vfd ready' mills (or lathes for that matter) aren't more prevalent over mechanical speed control. I guess the usual factors - price, demand...
Although I saw he still flipped to back gear so it still has some mechanical, just not the varying gear ratio via turn handle & sheaves like conventional BP
The brake lever is quite cool, looks like it signals the VFD off/electrical brake? & mechanical brake but all in one motion relative motion relative to the operator

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm not as conversant with mill pricing but think an equivalent BP would be about $20K USD. So yeah....

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
While waiting for my numbers to come in...

or this for a lathe with a polymer concrete bed...

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If my numbers come in tonight I'll be happy to phone SM on Monday and order a milspec 1334 and then build it it's own climate controlled luxury suite.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
What I did notice that the German CNC with human computer does not use cast iron as base but some kind of concrete matrix. That is some cool innovation.

I also wonder how is the low torque with just a VFD - CNC machines solve this with massive motors - but this one has just 3hp motor - with slow RPM at 70 it would have little torque as compared to mechanical machine. I hope they simply did not wave their hands around that. It does not seem that the 3hp motor is a DC motor as well.

If they just removed the pulley system and replaced it with a VFD and still have kept a 3hp motor then it is a very weak conversion, not worth the money. Maybe that explains low price.

7000 USD for a nice mill is a great price - the 600 shipping to anywhere in US means you can pick it up from the border. So price in Calgary would be under 11000 with all the taxes and fees. Certainly better deal by wide margin then anything from the BB or KMS.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I also wonder how is the low torque with just a VFD - CNC machines solve this with massive motors - but this one has just 3hp motor - with slow RPM at 70 it would have little torque as compared to mechanical machine. I hope they simply did not wave their hands around that. It does not seem that the 3hp motor is a DC motor as well.

good point Tom. they don’t say how they overcome that. maybe a high speed motor geared down?would be nice to see one in action to see if it is even an issue.