A356 aluminum

I want to find a356 aluminum (cast aluminum)
I do collect some but not enough for an upcoming project.
Thinking to purchase an ingot or two.
Anybody know who carries this?

This is a sand casting project.

Problem with rims is they are likely forged. So it is 6061 and does not have the silicone content for fluidity and may be very porous.

I have tons of extrusion but that is the same issue.

May have to strip a car down for the engine block and trans. Just hope the trans is not magnesium.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Coincidentally this came up in a recent model engineering discussion. My buddy cast some 1/4 scale engine parts. Curious what you are casting?

Chipper5783

I want to find a356 aluminum (cast aluminum)
I do collect some but not enough for an upcoming project.
Thinking to purchase an ingot or two.
Anybody know who carries this?
Where are you located (I’m in Red Deer, Ab). I’ve about 100# of aluminum castings sitting outside my shop, supposed to be 356 material. We are scraping them because of the porosity. It doesn’t machine near as nice as 6061 (harder on the tooling as well). Pretty sure I could get you a few of them ( scrap metal price - perhaps better?). D

Bandit

Super User
Sounds like the Strombergs may not being doing anything? Or is this a nitrous setup? What engine this going on? The beauty of a 6-71 blower as lots of air depending on the drive ratio.
Lots of engine pistons are cast, and engine heads. Any engine repair/machine shops near you? Or transmission repair shops, lots of trany cases are cast alum. As are totally hatched blower housings! Heavy machinery torque converters used to be alum. and maybe still are. We used to break up some for sand casting when I was in high school, (some time ago)...... Small engine repair shops maybe a source also.
Also looking forward to some pictures! Of the car, engine , sand casting, ??

This is just plopped together.
The air cleaners will be a helmet style that will come later. Stepson working on that idea.
The strombergs will be a throttle body

Attachments

• 20240201_114242.jpg
    20240201_114242.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240201_114249.jpg
    20240201_114249.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 11

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
This is a sand casting project.

Problem with rims is they are likely forged. So it is 6061 and does not have the silicone content for fluidity and may be very porous.

I have tons of extrusion but that is the same issue.

May have to strip a car down for the engine block and trans. Just hope the trans is not magnesium.
Interesting. I'm pretty sure most OEM Al rims are cast. Performance car, and aftermarket rims might be forged though. I have a few sets saved from scrapped cars, and some other motorcycle rims that I already pre converted to yard art.. I don't have a foundry big enough to process the big chunks yet, but I've broken a few spokes down from some equinox rims, and they cast just like a356.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This post reminded me to check for a book I've been after which came highly recommended. Lucky me, found one (the last one) for a good price on ThriftBooks. Never used them before but shipping was reasonable so fingers crossed. AbeBooks was a lot more expensive.

1708801333444.png