• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

A new member from Brampton Ontario

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Do you mean as opposed to replying to somebody?
John
You can send private messages (PM's) to people, like email, but here on the forum. Or you can post like you have been in this thread. Just keep doing that and everyone can see your pictures.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Hi from Oakville!

...As you see, complex joint lines are not an issue. Because the dies are made from aluminum they do not need any external cooling, thermal conductivity and radiation take good care of that issue. Secondly, being inherently light in mass I do not need to mount the tools in fixtures, they are manipulated simply by hand and locked by the use of "C" clamps.

I'm not following how you get the newly-poured part out of the mould? There seems to be minimal flash around the parts you showed even though the sprue is still attached. Are the moulds two pieces (or more) and then C-clamped together?

Whatever the case, your work is beautiful and fascinating. I really enjoy MyfordBoy's videos on Youtube even though I don't have any access (or ability) to do my own casting.

Craig

Oldarm

John
Hi from Oakville!

I'm not following how you get the newly-poured part out of the mould? There seems to be minimal flash around the parts you showed even though the sprue is still attached. Are the moulds two pieces (or more) and then C-clamped together?

Whatever the case, your work is beautiful and fascinating. I really enjoy MyfordBoy's videos on Youtube even though I don't have any access (or ability) to do my own casting.

Craig
Good morning Craig, the castings on the bench are in fact sand castings. The diecastings exhibit even less of a joint line of course. Removing the castings from the die: Because I have negated any contraction factors between the die and the casting, the castings can be removed via a light rap or even manually with a pair of pliers.
John

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hi John! I am just North of Barrie Ontario - do you do any cast iron work? Even just casting blanks for gears, bar stock sort of thing? Was thinking to take some old brake rotors and make them into stock for other projects type of thing?

Oldarm

John
Hi John! I am just North of Barrie Ontario - do you do any cast iron work? Even just casting blanks for gears, bar stock sort of thing? Was thinking to take some old brake rotors and make them into stock for other projects type of thing?
Hi Brent, no, I do not work in cast iron. I did many years ago and it is a whole different ball game to working in non-ferrous! There was a foundry in Orangeville working in iron but I’m not sure if they are still up and running. Not a million miles away from you either. Good hunting.
John

Oldarm

John
Really nice. Would like to see more pics of your molds/dies when you have time.
You have obviously mastered thin section detail judging by the prop & spinner -are those part of the main die or made separately?
Peter, I was looking at your truly splendid radial engine project on a different forum. It is quite obvious that you have ICU’s well and truly weighed up. I have had a recurring notion running through my head for many years involving a new and quite novel mode of power generation. Yes, it involves pistons and cranks and flywheels etc but not combustion in the accepted sense. No, not perpetual motion either! I would really like to talk to somebody and rationalize the possibility of the cycle functioning even at the most primitive level.
I have the concept in my head but then get lost in all sorts of odd “what if” thoughts, mainly attributed to my limited concept of a single stroke form of power generation. Sounds a bit “off the wall” I know but, if you happen to reside anywhere local to me in Ontario I would love to have chat with somebody who understands these things. At least I may be able to knock it on the head if there is a glaring fault in the idea. Or, maybe you would know if it’s been done before.
It’s just one of those things that nag away at you!!!
John

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi John, thanks for the compliments. Sorry I live in Calgary or it might well be a date LOL.
Not to detract you of brainstorming or posting ideas here, but are you aware of some of the (engine focused) model engineering forums? I have seen some posts of proposed engine designs as well as actual functioning models, either to prototype, or the fun of it. There are way smarter people than me that have contributed constructive feedback thoughts & comments ranging from deep dive fundamental thermodynamics to materials to whatever.
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php

Then there is the invention/prototype areas of the web related to engines which I can only guess go much deeper into subject matter because they are no longer 'models'. I have not gone down that path but have stumbled on a few over time. For the most part I am just an aviation buff & getting enjoyment in replicating something quasi-historical in miniature. It makes me appreciate all the more what people were able to achieve in full size form 90+ years ago. Mind boggling really. This radial design is not my own, they are commercial plans from Germany. But I've had to make a few changes along the way to suit my tooling & other constraints. Hopefully this winter will be the final push to completion and we will see if it runs or not with 'conventional' 4 cycles & simpler (glow) ignition plugs. Wish me luck!

Oldarm

John
Hi John, thanks for the compliments. Sorry I live in Calgary or it might well be a date LOL.
Not to detract you of brainstorming or posting ideas here, but are you aware of some of the (engine focused) model engineering forums? I have seen some posts of proposed engine designs as well as actual functioning models, either to prototype, or the fun of it. There are way smarter people than me that have contributed constructive feedback thoughts & comments ranging from deep dive fundamental thermodynamics to materials to whatever.
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php

Then there is the invention/prototype areas of the web related to engines which I can only guess go much deeper into subject matter because they are no longer 'models'. I have not gone down that path but have stumbled on a few over time. For the most part I am just an aviation buff & getting enjoyment in replicating something quasi-historical in miniature. It makes me appreciate all the more what people were able to achieve in full size form 90+ years ago. Mind boggling really. This radial design is not my own, they are commercial plans from Germany. But I've had to make a few changes along the way to suit my tooling & other constraints. Hopefully this winter will be the final push to completion and we will see if it runs or not with 'conventional' 4 cycles & simpler (glow) ignition plugs. Wish me luck!
Thank you so much for your input Peter. I really should put some effort into this before my “best before” marker comes due. So much to do and so little time...
Many years ago, shortly after arriving in Canada from the UK, I went through a period where I happened upon several brilliant minds. All had amazing ideas and energy and tenacity but each lacked the expertise for a certain facet of their particular project. Each was also scared stiff of giving away the farm by releasing knowledge of their efforts to third parties.
Getting to know each pretty well over the course of my relationships with them, I felt like dropping them all in a paper bag and giving it a good shake and then telling them to talk, share and help each other develop whatever was on the drawing board.
We all need to chew things over with our peers and draw on an individuals expertise in various fields.
If only we weren’t so scared.
Cheers from a rather balmy Brampton, John