• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

A Drill Press and Band-Saw Deal

terry_g

Ultra Member
I was on Haida Gwaii for two weeks for work in June 2018. I saw a Kijiji add for a 14" wood
bandsaw and a Rockwell drill press for $400 for both. I contacted the seller. He said he had
a lot of interest in them but no cash in hand yet. When I got back from Haida Gwaii the add
was gone and I assumed someone got a good deal.
About a month later the same add for the machines came up again so I called him and yes
they were still for sale. I promptly ran to the bank grabbed $400 and made the 60 km drive
to Kitimat and in minutes had them both in the back of my truck. I didn't need the drill press
but he would not sell them separately.
I took them to my work and cleaned them up. The drill press was pretty dirty. Nothing a bit
of oven cleaner wouldn't deal with.

The blue thing on top of the drill press was a misting system they were running on the bandsaw.
drill.jpg

Its a Walker-Turner 16" saw I would guess late 50s early 60s vintage. Its in good functioning condition.
I built a base for the bandsaw and made a lower blade guard for it and installed a set of tires on it.
They were running the blade on the steel wheels. The blade was running at 600 fpm which is pretty
fast. I took the 3" motor pulley off and turned it down to 1 1/2" to get the belt speed down to 300 fpm.
I was surprised how much I have used it as I'm not a big wood worker.

I have since built a belt guard for it.
saw.jpg

guide.jpg
I would estimate 70 to 80 new band saw blades in the box. Mostly wood blades but some metal blades.
bands.jpg