• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

935 mill centrifugal switch

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Again! I've been happily milling away for several months back & the dreaded cogging sound started again yesterday when the on switch is pressed. If you have never experienced this, count yourself lucky. But if you haven't, it resembles a loud mechanical noise like a gear case with some loose extra bolts.

So by now I know the drill. Shimmy up the ladder, remove the motor grill, examine the plastic fan to see if it had migrated down to interfere with the centrifugal switch. Last time I thought I mounted it flush to the motor shaft just as visual reference. Now it was maybe a smidge lower but not much. I've loctited the bolt to keep it secure but its basically pressure clamping the plastic boss hub which isn't the most robust looking part. So I removed the fan, I can see that the CS has not migrated up because I can see my witness scribe line on the shaft from before. With fan completely removed, flip the switch, motor starts & purrs like a kitten.

So now my theory is this is just a problematic fan design. The underside is kind of a dome shape so its obviously quite close to potentially interfering with the CS counterweight action. This time I turned a nylon spacer disc, 0.75" ID x 1.0" OD x 0.30" thickness. It's a little fat but I'm going to try it this way. Now the fan sits a little above the end of the motor shaft but still lots of ceiling room to the motor grill plate. I set the disc on the CS hub. Now if the drifts down it will come too rest on the spacer & hopefully not interfere. Well about 100 starts since its been installed, fingers crossed and no sacrificial incense to the capacitor gods.

Attachments

• IMG_2837_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2837_edited-1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2838_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2838_edited-1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2841_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2841_edited-1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2842.JPG
    IMG_2842.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2844_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2844_edited-1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Craig, its a model 935 VS, mini Bridgeport style, Taiwan made, sold by Modern Tool (and others).
John, yes!