• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

8" sanding disc source

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Any of you woodworker types have some info? I still use my trusty Delta combination 1" belt / 8" disc sander daily. I don't use the disc as much but that might be because I've been out for 6 months, LOL. 8" diameter is getting to be harder to find.

The woodworking places are a little insane. First I thought a typo but nope, $4.49 is for ONE
https://www.kmstools.com/klingspor-8-psa-sanding-disc-60-grit-146174
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho.../discs-and-pads/20171-large-psa-sanding-discs

Found this at KBC. Zirconium GA. I'm pretty sure I've used these on my belts for both wood & light metal work & they lasted as good or better than the high quality burgundy aluminum oxide. This is 12" diameter but I can just cut to my 8" & use the scraps on blocks or whatever, EDIT these are 12.95 per disc!
https://www.kbctools.ca/products/search/?Keyword=1-613-18943

I find the PSA adhesive is hit & miss on my disc so end up using 3M spray sometimes anyways. I tried to find rectangular 8.5*11 paper format but usually its not very common in this heavy duty machine format, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Amazon has some but I've had so-so luck with abrasives from China. Unless its fine grit, that they seem to be pretty good at for some strange reason

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've got a little 1×42 belt sander with an 8" disc on it as well. Yes the discs are not common. Last time I ordered from my local home hardware online. I can look for link or more details if you wish....

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks CalgaryPT, was not aware of that place. Limited grit selection in 8" but better price. I'll poke around the website
https://onlinesupply.ca/Current-Specials/Premier-Red/premier-red-stick-on-discs/CA21303

Thanks DPittman. If I don't find something I'll just add it to to the KBC order & let you know how they work

On the belts I turned into a bit of brand snob because the lookalikes just wear out in a fraction of time. I do recall popping one of those zirconium ones on just to evaluate. I just cant recall where I got it at the time. It seemed to cut wood no problem, about the same as my regular belts. But according to the description are good for soft alloy metals, so it might be a good thing.

There must be more to these belts than meets the eye. When I see these bladesmith dudes mow through tool steel with a steady shower of sparks with 2-3hp behind the wheel, the belts must have good grit and fantastic bond. Some of them were buying their belts from this supplier. USA of course. One day I will buy or build a metal eater LOL
https://www.sandpaper.com/abrasives/narrow-sanding-belts/metalworking-narrow-sanding-belts/

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
At least you've got some options now. Years ago when I purchased my 20" Kalamazoo disk sander I struggled to find reasonably priced disks. I finally found this off the radar mail order company in Ontario that appeared to be run by an insane Russian woman who lapsed into a tirade about politics whenever I spoke with her on the phone. I can't recall its name but their prices were 1/5 that of everyone else. I ordered $400+ of cloth backed PSA AO disks. In retrospect I wish I had bought zirconia, but they were out of stock at the time. The AO disks have been great nonetheless.

The company has ceased to exist now, and there are times when I fear I played a part in their demise as they obviously didn't price themselves competitively with other suppliers.

I'm not a huge fan of the TV show Orange is the New Black, but if you have ever seen it, I swear the woman I dealt with must have looked like the crazy Russian woman with the red hair on that show—except that she had an anger management problem that made the Hulk look like Cinderella. I remember psyching myself up to dial her number. I had a checklist in my head with 3 items on it:
  1. Don't mention politics
  2. Don't mention politics
  3. Don't mention politics
It seemed completely appropriate that she worked in the "abrasive" industry. Even if the company were still in business I wouldn't pass on her name to you for criminal liability reasons. I'm certain if a transaction went wrong she'd track you down and I'd have that on my conscience forever. I barely escaped the purchase with my life.

To this day I still fear her.

1609520822824.png

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's too funny.

Yes discs & belts have to be the right size or the machine is kind of held hostage by availability. I can waste a bigger nominal diameter to make an 8" but there is no way to splice sheets to make a big 20" like yours. That onlinesupply place you provided seems to have a great selection. Apparently I am way out of touch with prices.