7x12 lathe with bad transmission shaft bearings

va2fsq

Just found out it wont work. The actual pitch of the belt is .1875, which is non standard.
Oh well...

va2fsq

Actually the problem is that the 1.5x70 have are a non-standard sized pitch. You can't even seem to find one with more teeth.
The solution is changing the pulleys to XL pulleys and then using a XL belt. So, there is a kit on ebay that provides a 3:1 reduction XL pulley set up. The stock one is 1.82:1. Seems that this is a popular "upgrade" giving you about 20% more torque with the downside being the maximum speed is now decreased. This is not an issue for me, so I have ordered this. The length of the belt in the kit is 12.6 inches. I ordered 13 and 13.6 inch belts as well. Should cover the situation!

va2fsq

Solved. The issue finally was that the belt was too tight and the top of the motor was contacting the adjustment bolts. The adjustment bolts were the bolts shown in the previous picture I uploaded.
I removed the bolts which allowed me to slack off on the belt tension a bit.
The noise is no longer there. I can now hear the plastic bearings in the head stock! Still way better than previously.
Thanks for all the help.
Tom

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What are you going to do with the XL pulley set up you ordered?

"I can now hear the plastic bearings in the head stock"???

va2fsq

I will probably try out the xl pulley. Will make an interesting comparison. However, I dont look forward to adjusting the belt!
The head stock has plastic gears. Before the noise from the belt and pulley was so loud I couldn't hear what was going on in there.
Tom

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I will probably try out the xl pulley. Will make an interesting comparison. However, I dont look forward to adjusting the belt!
The head stock has plastic gears. Before the noise from the belt and pulley was so loud I couldn't hear what was going on in there.
Tom

Ok. Plastic change gears makes sense.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
mine Did not make that noise but you said it was a king? Perhaps the fastener package was different, mine had all black hardware and was busy bee sourced. I found a great way to isolate sound is to block an area with fingers or paper etc and as the tones change the source can be identified, I do this on power and sport equipment all the time, also cheap and invaluable is a length of hose and metal rod used as a stethoscope