• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

7x12 bandsaw in calgary

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Looks like a smoking deal - but you need to check the gear in the little gearbox. Make sure it is not beaten too much. Otherwise its extra 100.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It has a gear - worm / gear setup it is located on the other side of the belt guard in a square box. New gear from Grizzly costs with shipping around $100 CAD - or used to cost.

The worm - gear assembly is used to slow down the speed considerably from the motor - pulley assembly - i.e. the pulley and 1740 rpm motor alone would give you way too high of a speed.

The worm gear on older models is brass and it does wear out.

Guess how I know it all ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Ya.... finally.... maybe.... we hope....

What's the 7 X12 mean when it comes to bandsaws? The sizing designations never twigged with me.

It is the largest piece of metal that it can cut in one pass. 7" is the height and 12" is the width. So you can cut up to 7" round. In reality you can cut more but it will not be smooth. Also the 7" is absolute max - your cut will not be too good as well as your blade will flex a bit.

This is a good all around hobby size - far more sturdy then the smaller model 5x6 that costs about the same new.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That looks suspiciously like a King. Maybe not as these are rebranded. But what's more interesting to me is whether this is a swivel. That's what I have; they have a very special purpose and are harder to find. A swivel saw (not vise) is used for narrow shops, or shops with little remaining space. If you think about how fabricators use these machines, they are typically used to cut long lengths (10 or 20 feet) of tubing. Most saws only have a swivel vise, but that means you have to pivot a 20' length of tubing. Most shops don't have that much swing space to cut 45° on a 20' length. But with a swivel saw, it's easy. You just need the space for the straight tubing length.

Hard to tell from the single pic, but if the saw (not vise) swivels, that's worth more money.

If it isn't a King, it's a clone. Lots of parts available in Quebec warehouse.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It has a gear - worm / gear setup it is located on the other side of the belt guard in a square box. New gear from Grizzly costs with shipping around $100 CAD - or used to cost.

The worm - gear assembly is used to slow down the speed considerably from the motor - pulley assembly - i.e. the pulley and 1740 rpm motor alone would give you way too high of a speed.

The worm gear on older models is brass and it does wear out.

Guess how I know it all ;)
Good to know.