• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

6MM Brass Ball Oilers

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hi list, looking for several 6mm brass ball oilers for a project. Anyone holding a bucket of new spares or can suggest a good place to buy same at a reasonable price in Calgary? Would consider a pack of 10 if push comes to shove.

Bill

Ball-Oiler-for-Lathe-or-Milling-Machine.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If these are what are known as Gits oilers, I could use some as well. What I need appear to be 1/4", so, close to 6mm. let me know what you find, perhaps we can split a 10 pack.

Craig

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
If these are what are known as Gits oilers, I could use some as well. What I need appear to be 1/4", so, close to 6mm. let me know what you find, perhaps we can split a 10 pack.

Craig
Hi Craig, Gits and ball oilers appear to be the same item. Checked amazon.ca although I hesitate giving out my credit card info.
Measuring the ball oiler on my lathe it appears to be just under 0.250", most likely 6mm. There's a wide range of metric ball oilers although I haven't come across any in imperial measurement. Somewhere I read an unserviceable 6mm oiler could be removed with a 10-24 tap. Haven't tried that but it's an option.

Perhaps a member in the greater Toronto / Oakville area might know of a local source for same.

Bill

100_4364.JPG 31-MYfTSnQL.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yup, that's what I need. Got an Amazon.ca link. I've done lots of transactions there no problem.

Craig

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought a couple several years ago through Busy Bee for my lathe. I don't remember what they cost tho.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Last year, I searched high and low for Gits oilers and could not find a source in Canada. They are available through MSC in the US but they would not ship to Canada (even though the order seemed to be accepted at first). Eventually, I ordered through MSC USA and had them shipped to my cousin in the states. He then forwarded them on to me.

This is the ball oiler I got:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/03242567

However, MSC doesn't seem to carry metric size oilers. I see on the Gits Mfg site that they offer both metric and "Style GB oilers". You may have to contact them to find a retailer. I'm pretty sure they won't sell direct.

https://www.gitsmfg.com/catalog/oil-hole-covers/

Unfortunately, I don't think brass is an option any more. They all seem to be zinc plated steel. You might be able to get a NOS piece through eBay but the price is likely to be steep.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
When I rebuilt my lathe I ordered them in from McMaster Carr. I searched a lot of places and this company worked out. They may not ship to an individual in Canada.

When I did my searching I wrote down what I needed in my wee book of stuff to ponder. Here is a picture of the page:

IMG_3245.jpg

I found that the holes in my lathe for the oiler were slightly undersized so you would need to tap the oiler in.

In my little sketches off to the side it should look like either a flip cap or a ball style

kylemp

I think I have a bag of them that I had plans for, but haven't got there yet. If I can find them I could probably part with a couple, not sure what size they are though.

Edit: I found the order, they were 10mm. They're inexpensive enough I'd just order a bag of 20 if I were you. Credit cards are secured online, if you get a charge that isn't you, all you have to do is call in and they wipe it off. It's happened to me a few times at most and never been an issue.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ordered through Ebay. I recall that shipment went sideways (it happens). They refunded no proplem
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/20pcs-Brass...var=521492199902&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

They are also on Ali in differnt spots, prices & sizes
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...1e06-4d95-9955-287a9582ef41&priceBeautifyAB=0

McMaster USA is a dead end for individuals in Canada. They wont give you an account, don't even bother

These are the ones Stefan replaces with. They are inexpensive & apparently higher quality but I couldn't get a reply as to how to order. Sometimes the euro dealers have convoluted payment methods but I didn't get that far. I didnt want them bad enough to use a middle man.
https://www.mafa-shop.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=697

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Thanks for everyone's input never thought ball oilers would be a issue. My Craftex lathe needs a ball oiler replaced on the cross slide so last Wednesday I emailed Busy Bee. Are you sitting down for this, their reply (OIL CUP GB115-86 6 (PIN POINT OILER) 41.95 each available from stock). Obviously the person at Busy Bee identified an incorrect item. Shall double check with Busy Bee next week.

Also emailed KBC last Wednesday because I couldn't find ball oilers on their website. Their reply they don't sell them.

Then Friday I checked Precision Mathews website at https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/6mmbrassoiler/ then emailed them for shipping costs. Their reply approximately $25.00 US.

After checking amaizon.ca I find their ball oilers pricey although I'm willing to do another visit to see if I can find a pack of 6mm oilers.

Keep on trucking they say!

Bill

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I saw the PM ones too. It could be that he found a slightly different (better) version among the clones, but they sure look generically like all the other ones out there. The per unit price isn't too bad even with markup but the shipping is out of whack. They could come in a thin padded envelope with no damage for a couple bucks. Too bad Matt didn't use his business leverage to get the Mafa ones. It might be a step up in quality & solve a problem for people trying to order them onsey-twosey.

They are really quite simple so aside from inadvertently getting crap in there & fouling the spring / ball seal, there isn't a lot to them. You may have to wait a few weeks but I think the offshore versions are OK. At least that was my experience. I thought about making better ones by harvesting offshore parts (mostly the spring) but it would be fiddly. The brass can is kind of lipped over to contain the spring. But if I had an odd ball hole size in the casting & no other options, that's probably what I'd do.

francist

Super User
This may be a bit off the wall, but has anyone thought to try these...

48817345-2168-4240-8CB8-18FC93C6CC83.png
Available in two sizes, 1/4” and 3/8” which is the size of the brass sleeve. I’ve used them for cabinet work years ago, must check to see if there’s an extra still kicking around downstairs.

-frank

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This may be a bit off the wall, but has anyone thought to try these...
Available in two sizes, 1/4” and 3/8” which is the size of the brass sleeve. I’ve used them for cabinet work years ago, must check to see if there’s an extra still kicking around downstairs.

-frank

That just might work. Is there a passage in it such that the oil could pass through?

francist

Super User
As I recall they were virtually the same hollow tube with the ball and spring. My only concern is that the ball may sit a little too high for use an an oiler. Here’s a snip from another manufacturer.

I just checked my parts drawers and I don’t seem to have leftovers, but I’m curious enough to go out to Lee Valley next weekend and pick one up to have a first-hand look. Unfortunately they’re a bit of a drive from where I’m at so during the week is a little tough for me.

I’ll let you know what I find though.

-frank
5E696C43-5364-4E76-9AE2-A0633279DDDF.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
For our purpose the ball simply prevents chafe from entering the oiling port. The 1/2" deep might be a deal breaker though.

Perry

Ultra Member
If you gentlemen are placing an order, I would be in for 6 pieces of the 6mm ones. Split the shipping.