5c collet nose adaptor for lathe spindle

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Folks, looking for this adapter for my new to me lathe I also need a drawbar is anyone has anything thats surplus the'd like to sell!

Rauce

Ultra Member
What size taper is the spindle?

I bought MT5 to 5C sleeve and a drawtube for the lathe I’m rebuilding but I’m thinking about just getting a 5C chuck instead.

The draw tube is not finished, just a plain tube with the right threads on the end. You would need to add a handwheel.

Kelly McLaughlin

Its 5 mt so it's the right one, I have a 5C chuck with a 1 1/2-8 back plate perhaps a trade? let me know what you think and want. my nunber is 403-878-2555

Six O Two

(Marco)
I'm thinking about making one of these for myself as I need one as well. Do they need to be ground in, or could I get away with strictly lathe work?

Otherwise, Grizzly does sell these also.

Rauce

Ultra Member
The one I have is turned. I don’t see the same one on eBay anymore but the seller was making them on a CNC lathe.

To make one yourself, I would only rough in the ID features at first, turn the MT and then finish machine the collet seat in place.

Its 5 mt so it's the right one, I have a 5C chuck with a 1 1/2-8 back plate perhaps a trade? let me know what you think and want. my nunber is 403-878-2555

I’ll take photos of the pieces tonight and figure out how much I paid for these things. I’ll be in touch.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have it as a project to do. Turning it on a lathe should not be a big deal. For me I have taper MT4.5 so either I have to be a bit off by using MT4 as template or try to set the compound to MT4.5 angle and hope the angle I found for MT4.5 is indeed correct.

Doing the 5C part should not be an issue at all - I did ER40 and it worked out great.

Kelly McLaughlin

There's some on ebay so thats definetly an option The Grizzly one I'm seeing questionable runout so it would probably have to be indexed and ground in. I'd make one but my list is already ridiculous, starting with a cabinet / bench to put the new lathe on : ) I'll wait for Rauce's reply : )

Rauce

Ultra Member
I have it as a project to do. Turning it on a lathe should not be a big deal. For me I have taper MT4.5 so either I have to be a bit off by using MT4 as template or try to set the compound to MT4.5 angle and hope the angle I found for MT4.5 is indeed correct.

Doing the 5C part should not be an issue at all - I did ER40 and it worked out great.
You can use a test indicator in the spindle bore to get the angle for the compound.

I’ve done it before, although with an external taper, to make chuck backplates.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You can use a test indicator in the spindle bore to get the angle for the compound.

I’ve done it before, although with an external taper, to make chuck backplates.

Yes, good idea - I can just measure the angle from... what I have!

Main problem will be actually seeing the indicator - maybe I use extended leg.

Rauce

Ultra Member

Yes I guess you would need a test indicator with a longer probe. I have a mitutoyo one that would probably go 2” in while still being able to read the dial.

The other thing is getting the tip on center. If you have a tool height standard I think getting the ball on the probe lined up by eye would be good enough.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

This is what I use for measuring inside bores. You can get longer tips for it too but lose some resolution in proportion to the new vs old tip length ratio. The barrel will go into most rifle barrel chambers. It would work fine for your needs.

Screenshot_20230705_083132_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edit - didn't expect the image to be this big!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just realized this is a classified post. Strictly speaking, discussion is not allowed.

Since this is your ad @Kelly McLaughlin , are you ok with it as is, or would you prefer I stripped the thread of anything not directly related to your request?

Kelly McLaughlin

No Problem! it's all good information. The discussion has convinced me I shouldn't be so lazy and just make my collet chuck fit the new lathe : ) Thanks for asking though!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Just realized this is a classified post. Strictly speaking, discussion is not allowed.

Since this is your ad @Kelly McLaughlin , are you ok with it as is, or would you prefer I stripped the thread of anything not directly related to your request?

I believe discussion is not allowed which would be related to say price of the item as being too high etc. Asking questions about the item is OK. Or as here stuff related to the item. Besides - this is a wanted ad not "sale ad" - so we are now talking about fulfilling member need with him making the part.

I mean I could post a wanted ad for MT4.5 adapter to ... anything, MT3, MT4, 5C, ER40 etc. I know chances are next to zero so discussing how to make one yourself seem OK.

BTW, if anyone has such adapter I would not mind buying it. Given its MT4.5 it would be British or US made and I doubt I can make a better part at home.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I believe discussion is not allowed which would be related to say price of the item as being too high etc. Asking questions about the item is OK.

The intent is to prevent upsetting the one posting the ad. In most cases in the past, the problem has been negative comments about the poster's item or as you say, their price.

But we have been pretty strict about removing even related discussion lest it lead to the former, and also because some members have complained that discussion waters down the focus of their original post.

In this case, I myself posted a suggestion to you about measuring a taper. I did that without realizing that the thread was in the classifieds section. I wasn't the only one who did that. That's why I asked the OP if he would like the discussion portion removed or moved.