• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

5C collet key hex driver style

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My 5C collet chuck has a very fine feed scroll, which is another way of saying it takes a whole bunch of turns to suck up the collet into the body & tighten the stock. Even more fun when you have to go back & forth between collet sizes for sequential operations & have lots of parts to do. OK I'm lazy & I have office fingers :) I made this key out of O1 that fits into my adjustable torque 1/4" hex driver. Plug it in & away you go. I set the torque to lowest setting which results in not quite finger tight, so there is no risk of damage or anything. I guess I could do that too & get a consistent torque setting.

I made an error on the semi circular detente relief position on the hex shank. I guessed at it when I drew it up & forgot to check an actual tool. The hex tools I have have the detente further distance in from the end, but luckily this one still engages & grips. I have some other unconventional gadgets in mind that I want to hex drive so it was good to get one under my belt.

Attachments

• IMG_1836_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1836_edited-1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1837_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1837_edited-1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1838_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1838_edited-1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1839_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1839_edited-1.jpg