• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

4" Bison chuck, $40, Welland ON

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

519b66a3-659b-4cf8-b1c9-a01a09ce212e

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is it my eyes or have the inner part of jaws been both bored out & turned down to very close to chuck face? Looks like it must have been a dedicated fixture of some sort, strange divot partial holes on either side of jaws.

1707872325858.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Is it my eyes or have the inner part of jaws been both bored out & turned down to very close to chuck face?

That's what it looks like to me too. Might also be soft jaws. Not the best way to do it. Might also be ground.

Looks like it must have been a dedicated fixture of some sort, strange divot partial holes on either side of jaws.

Those divots are wierd. I've seen drilled and threaded holes there to take standards. But never divots. I've actually thought about making standards for mine but never pulled the trigger. For now, I'll prolly buy factory jaw spacers when I find them on Ali.

Very interested to hear what others think the divots are for.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm going to guess it was used on a drill press and those divots are marks of shame. Probably an old knock around chuck. Those divots do look oddly symmetrical though, so who knows. Maybe it held a part for drilling, and that was the hole pitch drilled into it? If tools could tell stories.....I've been here to witness some real bonehead moves that have scarred equipment for life.

Says he has 5, I wonder if that's the best of the lot......

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
i'll be the dissenter ..... unless you just happen to have the other jaws it's not very appealing. Doesn't exactly looked like they were only used by a little old man with his Myford on Sundays, there'll be sticker shock on the price for new jaws and its usefulness is rather limited without the other jaws.

darrin1200

Darrin
i'll be the dissenter ..... unless you just happen to have the other jaws it's not very appealing. Doesn't exactly looked like they were only used by a little old man with his Myford on Sundays, there'll be sticker shock on the price for new jaws and its usefulness is rather limited without the other jaws.
Ouch.
But the bigger sticker shock was the price of the Chuck. You could buy all of these chucks (for parts, you should be able to make at least one excellent one) as well as a set of inside and a set of outside jaws, and still be well under the cost of a new chuck.
And if you can pick and choose your chuck, you will likely get a good one, if you know what to look for.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Ouch.
But the bigger sticker shock was the price of the Chuck. You could buy all of these chucks (for parts, you should be able to make at least one excellent one) as well as a set of inside and a set of outside jaws, and still be well under the cost of a new chuck.
And if you can pick and choose your chuck, you will likely get a good one, if you know what to look for.

Well under a new chuck for sure, but they look like they've had a hard life. I'd wait for a decent looking one with both jaws.