3D Printed Threads.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I measured this at 12 TPI. Measured both the inside and outside diameter for thread peaks. Then looked up on line the thread depth for 12 TPI. Didn't quite match the dimensions of the parts so I went with slightly less.

It threads on beautifully from one side. Won't on the other. Not sure why other than that it was the plate side and perhaps some distortion on the initial layers.

1701840922291.png

1701841083133.png

The plan is to now extend the drawing into a lens and print it with clear filament.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Thanks for posting, I was wonder about printed threads.

Waiting as long as I did to get a 3D printer was a really really bad decision. I'm printing a 19mm to 12mm shaft coupler right now, just to verify alignment while I wait for the real thing to show up.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The dreaded elephants foot at play on those first layers?
I think I put the starting point of the thread too high. Should have started the spiral before it touched the part. It looks clean but just doesn't thread.
Thanks for posting, I was wonder about printed threads.

Waiting as long as I did to get a 3D printer was a really really bad decision. I'm printing a 19mm to 12mm shaft coupler right now, just to verify alignment while I wait for the real thing to show up.
I'm really a fan of 3D printing where other things are either way too much work or just really difficult to do. For example to mount a servo motor and planetary reduction drive for testing software and no requirement to carry a huge mast to move up and down 3D printing was the appropriate solution.

Here's a frame a from a short movie with the completed test unit.
1701884115160.png

From right to left, a DC Servo motor mounted in a brown 3D printed frame. Inside the 5 piece frame is a planetary reduction drive. Attached with a coupler to a worm gear drive which turns a shaft which rotates a mast mechanism.

1701884326816.png

Not clearly visible in the first is another motor coupled to an encoder.

StowLockTester.jpg

All worked for the test system and AFAIK is still in operation for testing new software. So 3D printing rules in places!